Corsair Community

HX 620 - Clicking all the time!

dt744190

Im really getting annoying by this EDIT clicking sound from the psu and I know the low load issue under 120 Watts.

This one is the 2nd HX620, after I RMA the 1 one that had same clicking sound issue and this new HX620 is WORSER THEN THE FIRST ONE I HAD.

1 one clicked time to time, even under high load and it keeped clicked, sometimes 2-3 times in a row. Later mine Tracer-8500 DDR2 modules got bad and showed over 70000 errors already at 1 pass at test 5. So I decided RMA HX620 at same time with the memory modules.

I got a new HX620 in replacement from where i bought it and this new one is really getting in my nerve. It just never stop to click, just like now while Im typing this and I heard over 30 clicking from the PSU.

My computer:

Intel C2D E6600

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 DDR2

ASUS 8800GTS 320MB

Gigabyte P35 DQ6

2x320GB Seagate SATA2 RAID0

2x500GB Samsung SATA2

NEC 7173 DVDRW IDE

4x120mm fans

Antec P182

I really don't know how much watts all these componets I have runs under idle, but im really getting frustrating to hear this EDIT clicking sound all the time and low/high load, I still keeping hearing this clicking sound all the time.

I bought this computer at may, after just 1 month and I had to RMA psu/memory. Waited around 2 weeks to getting both back, memory modules is fine and just this EDIT clicking sounds left.

Think I have heard over 50 clicking now. :mad:

How can I fix this clicking sounds?

I followed this pic of Which Rail is which: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2056&d=1155657758

- ATX 24 pin and 8 pin EPS to motherboard.

- "green area marked" ASUS 8800GTS videocard and 2x120mm fans

- "blue marked" 4xHDD + DVDRW+2x120mm fans

Thanks!

With the description of your clicking sounds, with the replacement PSU, and with the memory dying, it sounds as if you have some other issue. It sounds as if you may have a bad MOBO or perhaps a case short. Can you try posting only the the MOBO, CPU, 1 DIMM, and video card with the MOBO outside the case.

Also, is the clicking coming specifically from the PSU or thru the case speakers?

And Do you happen to be using a APC or battery Back Up?

Are there any known issues between the APC UPS's and the Corsair PSU's ?

I have a 620w Corsair and just yesterday bought the APC SmartUPS 750i :eek:

• Corsair Employees
There is no known issue but the users before have been using an APC or Battery Back up, just if you are using that type of device try the system plugged into a power strip to make sure its not the APC causing it.

With the description of your clicking sounds, with the replacement PSU, and with the memory dying, it sounds as if you have some other issue. It sounds as if you may have a bad MOBO or perhaps a case short. Can you try posting only the the MOBO, CPU, 1 DIMM, and video card with the MOBO outside the case.

Also, is the clicking coming specifically from the PSU or thru the case speakers?

The clicking sounds comes from the psu and Antec P182 case doesn't have any internal speakers.

No, haven't tried outside the case.

And Do you happen to be using a APC or battery Back Up?

No, Im not using any battery backup and it's connected through a APC power surge protection.

Anyway, this continous clicking sounds have suddenly stopped! I don't know why/how it's stopped and haven't changed anything with the computer. It does still click, but just one click with intervall and not same as before that was really driving me nuts.

I can accept as it's now, 1 click at boot and somtimes with intervall. But if it going back as before continous clicking and Im done with this psu.

I was actually wondering if it was coming thru the system speakers, not the internal speaker. What you are describing sounds like a short of some sort. You may want to visually inspect the I/O panel area and check for shorts there. Also, I would post the system outside the case too just to be sure.

• Corsair Employees
Can you try and connect it direct to the wall? And what is the Rated power of the APC you have? Not the surge, how many amps or watts it can handle? Needs to be rated at 20-30 more than the total number of devices you have connected. IE 1000 Wat PSU + 19" Monitor would need to be rated at 1300-1500 Watts or 13-15 Amps at 110 Volts or 8-10 Amps at 220 Volts!

Archived