Corsair Community

Question about mismatched memory?

Kurse

I recently bought 2 CM2X1024-6400 (2GB DDR2 Twin2X) kits for a new PC from buy.com

They shipped separately, so when I built the system, I only had received 1 pack at the time. The system installed and ran just fine.

Today the 2nd pack arrived, and I put the memory in. I get a BSOD on bootup. Taking the 2nd pack out, the computer boots just fine.

Upon further investigation, I noticed some different numbers on the 2nd pack. The first pack (that works fine) says "XMS6405v7.2". The 2nd pack says "XMS6405v5.1". I am not sure, but did I get the wrong memory?

Both packs (all 4 sticks) have the same part numbers "CM2X1024-6400", but it looks like this 2nd number (voltage perhaps?) is different.

Are these incompatible?

Mainboard is ASUS Striker Exterme, OS is Windows Vista

Hi Wired, thanks! I just found that out.

I just got off the phone with a very helpful Technical Support rep from Corsair, and he explained the revision number to me.

He had me apply a patch from Microsoft (KB929777), and set the memory voltage in the BIOS to 2.0. I was then able to add the additional memory, and the computer booted.

HOWEVER: So far, I have been experiencing random lockups and occasional BSOD.

What are my options here? I could try and return the memory to Buy.com, and see if I could get 2 packs with the same revision number, but something tells me that they will not understand the issue, I don't know if they have any technical personnel there.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS version and load setup defaults and then set the settings and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. Please Disable Legacy USB when running this program.

Striker

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

I made the changes to the BIOS settings as you prescribed, and then booted the memtest disk.

The computer locked up on pass #5 at 13% with well over 200,000 errors listed. The screen was rolling with red errors.

I then rebooted the computer to see if Windows would boot. It would not.

I then set the BIOS back to the previous settings, and took out the additional memory so the system could boot. It seems that these 2 revisions will not get along together.

The system will run fine with one or the other set in, but not with both.

Should I run the memtest on each set, and see if one set in particular has issues?

No problem! Thanks for your assistance again!

Yes, legacy USB was disabled.

I was able to complete the memtest with both sets individually. They just do not work together. I contacted Buy.com, and explained the situation, but they cannot guarantee they can give me 2 packs with the same revision.

Not sure what to do at this point.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts and then set SLI Ready Memory to Diaabled and set the CPC/CR to 2T,and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, then test with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them one up and or in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

If they all pass one up then try these settings:

Striker

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 15

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

I double checked everything to be sure I did not miss anything.

BIOS is version 1102, that is the newest available for the Striker Extreme on ASUS.com

BIOS was reset to default, Legacy USB is disabled. Striker

SLI Ready was not changed, as is is not changable, it is greyed out and reads "not detected". BIOS then set to the specifications in your last post.

I put in the first set of memory (2GB) with the revision XMS6405v5.1, and booted memtest. There were no errors.

I removed the first set om memory, put in the 2nd set (2GB) with revision number XMS6405v7.2, and booted memtest. There were no errors.

I then put the first set of memory back in, and rebooted the system to memtest with BOTH sets of memory (4GB) installed. Errors began at about 3% into Test #3, and scrolled on and on and on.....etc.

It appears that individually, each set is OK, they just don't seem to cooperate together. I will follow your instructions and send them back to you with hopes of having them exchanged for 2 sets of matching revisions.

Thank you very much for working on this!

I double checked everything to be sure I did not miss anything.

BIOS is version 1102, that is the newest available for the Striker Extreme on ASUS.com

BIOS was reset to default, Legacy USB is disabled. Striker

SLI Ready was not changed, as is is not changable, it is greyed out and reads "not detected". BIOS then set to the specifications in your last post.

I put in the first set of memory (2GB) with the revision XMS6405v5.1, and booted memtest. There were no errors.

I removed the first set om memory, put in the 2nd set (2GB) with revision number XMS6405v7.2, and booted memtest. There were no errors.

I then put the first set of memory back in, and rebooted the system to memtest with BOTH sets of memory (4GB) installed. Errors began at about 3% into Test #3, and scrolled on and on and on.....etc.

It appears that individually, each set is OK, they just don't seem to cooperate together. I will follow your instructions and send them back to you with hopes of having them exchanged for 2 sets of matching revisions.

Thank you very much for working on this!

You need to test individual sticks of memory, not individual matched pairs (sets) of memory (as the RAM GUY said). A modern dual-channel motherboard will operate in single-channel mode (with only one stick of memory installed) for troubleshooting purposes.

Archived