Corsair Community

Compaq SR1303WM Value Select upgrade weirdness

Fluke16DMM

The system has an ASUS A7V8X-LA VIA KM400 motherboard that for some reason does not see the 512MB stick of Corsair Value Select PC3200 when installed together with the stock Samsung 256MB PC3200 stick(whenever the 256mb stick is installed in either slot alongside the Corsair the total ram shown in the BIOS is 256MB-64MB for onboard Video). I have tried switching slots around to no avail. The system works fine(passing 24 hours of memtest) with either the Value Select or Samsung stick as long as they are installed individually though and show their proper amounts for each. I have a feeling it is some type of BIOS quirk as the KM400 chipset should support larger amounts of RAM.

this is why it's not recommended to mix memory from different manufacturers unless explicitly stated that they will do so, as in the case of CMSS memory. I don't see your computer model on the Corsair Compatibility Site, but there's most likely some CMSS memory that will work with your system. Ram Guy will probably suggest something when he posts.

It is not really worth it to me to keep buying memory for the system as it is mostly used for surfing(it was not doing that to well either with only 256mb(192mb). I will be happy as long as I can get close to 512mb(448mb is what I have thanks to the integrated video), although I would have preferred 768mb(704mb). I guess it will remain one of those unsolved mysteries. I appreciate the reply. :cool:

Archived