Corsair Community

Asus P5K Deluxe Ram questions

miked84

I am building a new computer with a Q6600 and an Asus P5k deluxe board and am trying to find the best memory for this board. I would like to have a total of 4 gigs at a minumum of 800 mhz. These are my options that I have come up with so far.

1. 4*1gb of 1066 mhz CL5 - 2 kits of (TWIN2X2048-8500C5 or TWIN2X2048-8500C5D)

2. 4*1gb of 800 mhz CL4 - 2 kits of (TWIN2X2048-6400C4 or TWIN2X2048-6400C4D)

3. 2*2gb of 800 mhz CL5 - 1 kit of TWIN2X4096-6400C5

I have looked over this site and asus's site but have not been able to find out if those first two options will be stable on this board. I know some people have been having problems running four sticks of ram on this board.

My question is... Will four sticks of ram of those first two options be stable at those speeds and timings or would I be better off going with the 3rd option?

Does any one else have any experience with 4gigs on this board? Any better ideas than those i have come up with?

P.S. If going the 4*1gig route, I would like to atleast be able to use 800mhz CL4 ram instead of CL5 or lower frequency ram. Since I could no longer add more ram down the road, I would like to make sure it is fast atleast.

• 4 months later...
If you can get them 2*2gb of 800 mhz CL5 - 1 kit of TWIN2X4096-6400C5 would be the best choice if you want to run at 800 MHz for memory.

Hello RAM GUY, I have the same question about the choice of 4x1gb or 2x2gb. You said thst 2*2 is a better option. I don't understand much about CAS 4 or 5, can you explain me why your option of TWIN2X4096-6400C5 is the better option.

• Corsair Employees

I have answered this many times on the forum, please search for it.

But in a nut shell: as you add more memory there is more loading on the system not to mention more power needed for more modules no matter what the density. about 11-13 Watts per module so 2 modules will over clock better and be more stable than 4 modules and most MB's out now and you would need to relax the memory settings when you install more than 2 modules.

• 3 weeks later...

I am working on the same build, Asus P5K deluxe MB, with the Q6600, and have come looking for the same answer. If you read the Asus QVL it lists exactlly which memory they are suited for, and don't appear to support 4GB of corsair memory. According to the Asus QVL, they do not seem to show support for any memory DDR2 800 or above 2048 MB sticks. And for the Corsair memory, they indicate that you can only use 1024 memory in either of the 2 sets of slots (blue or black) but not both. They do show on their QVL support for DDR2 667 2048 MB memory from a couple of suppliers. I hope someone has tested and can show support for higher memory. There is a great deal for 4GB (2x2GB) corsair memory on newegg right now that I would love to put into this system.

If you go with the 2x2GB please post your results.

Asus QVL for memory. (nothe the A, B, C Dimm configs on the left)

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5K%20Deluxe/P5K_Deluxe_WiFi-AP_QVL.pdf

• Corsair Employees

The QVL is applicable to memory that they have tested, in other words if they do not list it that does not mean to say its not compatible just they have not tested it.

And if memory will work in one slot one up but not in Dual Channel that would suggest a problem with that MB and or BIOS.

Archived