Corsair Community

K i ngston Value RAM and Corsair Value Select Incompatibility

amritsareen

Hello World,

I have the following system:

ECS GeForce 6100SM-M V:1.0

Corsair Value Select PC2 5300 667 Mhz 2 GB Module

nVidia 7600 GS

I wanted to upgrade my memory module. Luckily, my aunt had a spare K i ngston KVR667D2 1 GB module lying around. when I put that module in my other DIMM slot, there was an intermittent beeping sound and the system did not even boot into BIOS.

Now, I am not sure whats wrong, but I am guessing that the memory timings on the two modules must not match because they both work fine independently.

I have tried the following so far:

-update BIOS

-contact Corsair Tech Support

-contact XXXXXXXXX Tech Support

-contact ECS

If anyone has any ideas, please advise before I RMA one or the other memory modules.

Thanks,

Amrit

P.S: I guess Corsair hates ******** and thats why they X'ed out the name. Hence the spacing in ********

It's never recommended to mix memory from different memory manufacturers.

P.S: I guess Corsair hates ******** and thats why they X'ed out the name. Hence the spacing in ********
LMAO, they don't hate them, but there's no reason for their names to be mentioned here. It has nothing to do with the troubleshooting process. Also, the occasional person comes here to get help with their memory from a Corsair competitor.

I believe the reason they will not work with one another is that one of the modules is non-ecc, while the other is ecc(2 non-ecc=OK, 2 ecc=OK*, 1 non-ecc+1 ecc=Not OK). Also, because the gf6100 is a dual channel chipset, it is generally recommended that each module be the same size, if not the same speed/timings also.

*ecc is generally not needed for home pc's and while the ecc ram may work OK, it will probably be operating as non-ecc ram(a lot of regular home pc type motherboards will not even boot with ecc ram installed-depending on the chipset and BIOS flexibility).

Thanks for all your replies.

Unfortunately, even though I love Corsair, I'm just going to have to get another compatible XXXXXXXXX module because I cant return my original XXXXXXXXX module. (Bought from Fry's in another city)

Unless somebody can find a Corsair 2 GB PC25300 module with a timing of 4-4-4-12. I was not able to find one for $100 or less.

Thanks all the same,

Amrit

LMAO, they don't hate them, but there's no reason for their names to be mentioned here. It has nothing to do with the troubleshooting process. Also, the occasional person comes here to get help with their memory from a Corsair competitor.

I think it was reasonable to mention the name and module of the conflict causing memory. That way people have all the information instead of staying in the dark. I guess its just my anti-big-brother, anti-censorship philosophy.

FYI, it is not the different brands of memory module manufacturers that causes the problem, its the different memory chips used on the dimm modules that cause problems. You need to make sure that whatever memory module you buy to work with your existing one is using the same brand and speed memory chips on the dimm itself. That will be hard to determine since more than likely there are heat spreaders on the modules that would need to be removed first which means there is a risk in damaging the module. Good luck!

Archived