Corsair Community

How to partition Corsair Flash Voyager 8GB

fraschumi

Hi,

I've read tons of posts, downloaded GIGs of software but nothing to do...

How can I partition my usb flash drive under windows XP?

I would like to have one 5GB NTFS partition and the remaining space for FAT32 partition.

Please help.

Thank you in advance!

• Corsair Employees
The easiest way would be to use a Win9x Boot floppy and use FDISK from the floppy and make sure that you have the USB set as boot device in BIOS then create both partitions with FDISK and then format the FAT partition and then use WinXP to format the other partition from a command Prompt

Thank you for the answer.

Do you know any other method under windows xp?

Another question: i've just turned on my pc to read your post and now my flash voyager is no longer avaible between my peripherals!

If i plug it windows plays the sound of usb plugged in and i see the green icon in the tray but i cannot see and use the device!!!

What is happened?

How can i set the drive as "non removable"?

Actually i cannot modify it from windows xp disk manager except formatting it...

ps: i've tried the followind since now without success:

1-tried hp drive key boot utility: one fat32 partition of 4GB was created but cannot format the remaining 4GB neither with the excellent windows enabler on because my drive is still seen as removable...

Moreover the usb key won't boot even with correct award 6.0 bios settings...

2-tried with win98 boot floppy and fdisk but... fdisk does not see any drive (because i use sata disks in raid 0)...

So, How can i set the drive as "non removable"?

Thank you again!

• Corsair Employees
Look under Disk Drives and then where it lists The Drive then under Policies select optimize for performance. I am sorry I don't know the translation, you might ask Microsoft to help you with that.

device manager still lists my voyager as removable.

In fact i cannot delete the partition...

If i use windows enabler i can delete and create one new partition but, because the support is removable, i can make only one partition large as the storage device...

In the usb properties i checked optimize for performance but there's not the options of caching files as other usb logical disks...

• Corsair Employees
The menus that I gave you are exactly the way I posted them, and I am sorry but sometimes Microsoft changes the language and the O.S. acts differently or the menus are slightly different and I am sorry but I have no way to know as I do not speak or understand that language. They would be the best source for help or your Reseller might be able to help you.

i've downloaded and installed

HP drive key boot utility

and tried to use this.

Even if the procedurefinishes with success, it's not bootable (but it wasn't my goal).

It creates one FAT32 partition of 3.7GB and the ramaining is unallocated space, which i cannot partition or format (because the drive is still seen as removable.

This utility asks me if i want to prepare the key as a HP flash firmware flash device (reccommended) or floppy image...

I've always choosen floppy image because i don't know if the first option is correct and if modifying firmware will invalidate my carsair warranty...

Can you help RAM GUY?

Thank you for your support and patience...

• Corsair Employees
I don't have anything to edit the screen shots but I will do them for by tomorrow and post them, but I am not sure that will help you since the version of Windows looks to be different. Under Device Manager/ Disk Drives select properties for the FV then under Policies change it to Optimize for performance and it should allow you to create a partition in Computer Management in Disk Manager.

i can create only one partition...

today i tried with linux...

under linux i can make any number of partition i want, any size, any filesystem...i can mount them and use them...

if then i reboot to wondows, the o.s. make me use only the first partition, even if the other i created under linux were fat32 and fully working...

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

i can make only one extended partition (under linux)...

and obviously windows xp neither doesn't see the other partition nor let me to format it...

i found that removable usb disks have an RMB (removable bit) which tells windows if the storage device is removable or not...

but i couldn't find where this bit is and how to modify it...

Yes!!! :D:

Now windows recognize my flash voyager as logical disk and so i can partition and format it as i please (and also make it bootable)!

The software has made a slight modify on the usb drivers... i think it was a windows xp SP2 bug... There are many other people that i know with this problem...

Archived