Corsair Community

What does this mean, data was copied to flashstick and it became partially corrupted!

medicineman9

Hello,

a friend of mine recently bought a corsair 16 GB USB stick.

Some time ago he did me a favor and downloaded a 4,x GB big video for me. The video had quickpar par2 parity information attached. (Quickpar is an extremely reliable program for data verification and reconstruction which is in very heavy use in the usenet system.) The data on the hard drive was then checked with quickpar - everything was green which means that the data arrived from the original download source at my friends computers hard drive in optimum condition (so to say 1:1 bit identical :): ).

He then transferred the video on the USB stick (so that I could go home with his usb stick and put it in my computer, transfer the video again and give the USB stick back to him later).

I asked him to check the data integrity with quickpar before that to make sure the data on the usb stick is unaltered (I do not trust computers).

Quickpar began the check and interestingly after a short while quickpar noted that some of the data on the usb stick was partially corrupted. The alteration was "slight" (if one wants to use the word "slight" for such a horrible thing - videos dont have an additional data security layer = instant video change when data alteration occurs!).

I took the USB stick with me to my home anyway as there were enough PAR2 reconstruction archives included to "recalculate" the video to its original state (which took 15 minutes at my computer at home using quickpars reconstruction files (which have a self check feature as well btw)).

So I finally "reached my goal" to have the video in 1:1 quality (unaltered) on my computer after the reconstruction was finished :):.

I then checked the USB stick with the program "HDTUNE". Everything was green (no bad blocks or data failures detected). The test took 3 1/2 hours or so because I used the computer of my brother (which is only a backup computer and which has old USB drivers, I suppose it used some USB compatibility mode because the data rate was 1 MB/s lol). (The USB slots on my computer are all in use and I wanted to do something else with my computer at that time)

I am really wondering what the data alteration story means because I am also thinking about getting an USB stick for myself because such a thing is very handy to have in many situations.

The colleague of mine ment that "this can happen due to USB specific problems" and because USB is an unreliable interface for data transmission and therefore data alterations can happen especially with bigger files.

Is this true? I have no idea.

But I really dont think this should ever happen - if this really is so then the complete USB interface is the biggest crap. (LOL - reminds me of Bill Gates blue screen when he showed the world the first USB device). But I can hardly believe that, somehow.

I am more tending to say that there is a flaw in some memory areas of this particular usb stick??

I would really like to hear your personal opinion on this phenomenon!!

How does one check USB sticks for data integrity / bad blocks etc. etc. btw? I used HDTUNE as mentioned above.

Best regards,

medicineman9

(from Austria, Central Europe...so please dont mind if my english has errors etc. as english is not my mother tongue)

The biggest files were 1 GB big (according to the DVD standard no file can be bigger on a standard DVD I think). There were two 1 GB big files and several ranging from 50 - 700 MB or so (VOBs) as well as a lot of smaller ones (IFOs and BUPs etc.). Total about 4,4 GB.

I will ask my colleague with which file system the stick was formatted and write it here as soon as I know it :o:

Thank you so far :sunglasse

P.S.: BTW my friend also checked the appropriate hard disk with HDTUNE and it was ok.

• Corsair Employees
Did you compress the whole DVD to one Zip file? If you did and the total compressed file was bigger than 3.76 Gig you will have to format the drive with NTFS. If you were under this limitation and still have the same issue, I would check the port you connected the drive, make sure there are no other USB devices connected or if you using a port on the front of your case try the port that is on the MB where the KB and mouse connect.

No the files were mainly standard DVD VOBs so nothing compressed.

I suppose with "port" you mean the USB port. There are standard 4 I think on most computers (on the backside).

Ah wait now something comes to my mind I think my colleague used some usb hub. He had somethink like an "extension" (a long cable) coming from one of the back usb ports where he plugged the usb stick in so he did not have to crawl around on the ground behind the computer.

This could be the solution as I have heard these silly USB hubs have a habit of being extremely unreliable.

What do you think?

I think my friend and I should repeat the whole thing with the usb stick connected directly to the 4 back usb ports of the computer and see if it gets copied correctly then?

Thanks so far,

medicineman9

• Corsair Employees
Sometimes yes if it was a hub, it may not be able to provide enough power, I would suggest using an externally powered USB Hub or have it plugged directly in the back ports near the KB and mouse.

Archived