Corsair Community

Strange memory problem!

Ryze

Okay, Don't know where to post this so I post it here.

The deal is:

I left my computer on when I left home yesterday... I didn't sleep at home and the comp was on the entire night (usually this hasn't been any problem before, the comp has times before been on for like 3 or 4 days straight).

When I come home the next day, the comp is in "rest mode" or whatever you call it :).

I move around the mouse and waiting for the XP screen to appear, but no go. Reset my comp, the same thing, just a black screen and the moniter led is orange instead of green. No pip from the BIOS, nothing... Although I do hear the fans starting and the harddrives start aswell.

Start to fiddle with the gfx-card, didn't help.

THEN, I fiddled around with the memories. I have 4x512MB DDR400 PC3200 two of them are "Corsair VS512MB400 Value Select 512Mb DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin CL2.5". I switch places on them and take one out. The comp starts up, YAY.

Then I want to place in the the last memory stick again. So I chose "turn off" comp in windows, I get blue screen and the comp resets.... :S.

I turn of the comp manually and put the last memory stick in again... Problem no. 1 again... black screen.... I take out a second memory stick instead, leaving only 2 rams. Turn on the comp. It starts up as usual.

Okay so I have 2 older rams and 2 "Corsair VS512MB400 Value Select 512Mb DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin CL2.5", the corsair ones I bought for about 2 months ago are the ones that are wierd somehow I think. I tried out ONLY using my 2 old rams and then I tried using ONLY the 2 corsair rams. When I use ONLY my old rams it says the following in the bios:

Memory 400 DDR Dual Channel 128-bit

and when I use ONLY the 2 corsair rams it says:

Memory DDR 333 SINGLE Channel 64-BIT, AND Windows is very unstable and slow....

I even tried out with 2 of the old rams and 1 of the corsairs (tried with each one), and the comp either starts up with bios saying "Memory DDR 333 SINGLE Channel 64 BIT" and windows being very slow and unstable. Or I get the black screen.... And I even tried switching slots with all the rams... Last thing I tried with the corsairs are that I manually set 400 mhz in the bios, but then it still says "Single Channel 64-bit"....

What hell is going on?? It all worked fine untill today (bought them about 2 months ago).... ANY help would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully someone will read this loooong post!

Thanks!

Okay so I wanted to do memtest on the rams. Once with only my older rams and once with only my corsair rams.

With the old ones, there was no problem detected. 100% pass.

When I wanted to do it with only the corsair rams, I had the black screen problem again... and couldn't get the comp working at all, no matter in which slots I put the corsair rams in...

I think they are faulty... Still any help would be just great :)

Okay, I do have the latest bios version, although there is one newer but thats a BETA. Me and betas don't have a good history, so I don't know if I dare to update to a beta.

But anyway I tried with just one corsair ram at a time. Seems like one of the is working just great, even using it with one of my older rams now withtout any problems. Memtest, 100% pass, no errors on this one.

But when I wanted to try out the other corsair ram, I just got the black screen, no bios, even when the voltage was at 2.7....

As soon as I want to put in 3 rams I get DDR 333 Single Channel 64-bit. Seems like my motherboard can't handle 3 rams only 1, 2 and 4 at a time. Can this be right?

Lastly I think that the one corsair ram is the faulty one and has caused all the problems...

EDIT: Let's say that you also agree that one of them might be faulty and you say "Let's replace that ram" Do I have to send it to the adress that is on your hompage?

"Corsair Memory

Attn: Returns

46221 Landing Parkway

Fremont, CA 94538"

I mean thats in USA, and I live in Sweden. Is there any more convenient way? Might be a stupid question and you just say "Send it to the Corsair-authorized resellers from where you bought it". Just thought I should ask :)

• Corsair Employees
Please try your reseller and see if they will help you get them replaced, if not please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Okay, so they exchanged both memory sticks. But when I put all four DDR400 rams the Bios says, DDR 333 Dual Channel 128-bit. So I changed it manually to 400 mhz and 2.7 volt. Is this harmful in any way? So far windows is very stable and no problems have accured, I have even tried playing some games.

Thanks!

Archived