Corsair Community

Asus A8V Deluxe and VS2GBKIT400C3

signcarver

I recently purchased a VS2GBKIT400C3 (to replace my VS1GBKIT400C3) at a local Fry's, who today refused to allow a return/exchange even though it has been less than a week and according to their policy I have 15 days on the memory. My computer, an A8V deluxe with latest bios (and I tried a few others) and an older 3500+ processor (Newcastle), won't boot/post at all... fans just spin whenever a 1GB module is installed. It is my understanding that these should be compatible with one another but since the memory controller is on the processor I thought perhaps there might be a known problem with the older core.

I also tried each stick individually and resetting the cmos as well as an out of case bench test with just mobo, cpu, and ram. I also tried one stick in a socket 754 machine (not sure of brand) that advertised support for ddr400 1gb / slot (max 3GB though it would run at 333 if 3 sticks were installed according to chart on mobo) with the same result. Then I tried with a socket 478 intel p4 2.8 (via chipset ecs board but not sure on model but a memory configurator said something about allowing 1GB/slot but only 512MB/bank) with similar results but at least here I got a long continuous beep in addition to the fans spinning. All three computers work fine with the 512mb modules just not with the new 1gb ones.

All my newer systems use ddr2 so unfortunately I can't try them with anything newer but right now I think I am convinced that I got two bad sticks in one package which really surprises me as I have never had problems with corsair before but it may be a compatibility issue so I thought I would try here first. Any other suggestions besides trying to return/exchange them again (they might have been having a bad day but I hate arguing about it)?

-Larry

• Corsair Employees

Larry I am sorry but you cannot mix memory with an AMD 64 system, and many MB's now days will not run well when they are fully loaded and with a socket 754 AMD if you install more than 2 modules or more than 4 ranks of memory (2-per module) DDR200 would be suggested, that is the spec from AMD.

Tot be sure you don't have a failing module I would test the modules one set at a time and you may have to reset the BIOS when you change memory.

• 8 months later...
Larry I am sorry but you cannot mix memory with an AMD 64 system, and many MB's now days will not run well when they are fully loaded and with a socket 754 AMD if you install more than 2 modules or more than 4 ranks of memory (2-per module) DDR200 would be suggested, that is the spec from AMD.

Tot be sure you don't have a failing module I would test the modules one set at a time and you may have to reset the BIOS when you change memory.

True, but it was not AMD which limits the memory speed to DDR200 with three modules crammed into the same channel. It was a JEDEC-standard specification which did. And if the AMD Socket 754 memory controller fully complied with JEDEC standards, filling even two memory slots on the motherboard would limit the maximum memory speed to DDR333.

Archived