Corsair Community

Possible problem with 5400C4 memory

When i built my current rig i used 2 bars of this stuff both 512. Recently i have found that 1 gig isn't enough so i ordered 2 bars at 1 gig each. The memory is the same type the old stuff is about 5 months older other than that its the same stuff i believe (i checked into it).

Well here is the part you'll wanna know:

1) 1 new bar solo (tried with both). results in it working just fine.

2) 1 new bar and 1 old bar of 512 (tried all bars). results in the old bar being ignored.

3) here is the weirdest part, when all three gig are there together it only sees 1 bar of the old stuff.

For these tests i tried every slot and bar combo there is. So the slots can't be bad. The mobo i have is a P5N32-SLI. I also thought maybe there isn't enough power, but i have a 620W Enermax in there. To be sure i'll list my setup

1 Asus P5N32-SLI

1 WD 120g SATAII

2 XFX 6800 XT video cards

1 creative XFI platinum sound card card

1 intel 3.0 Duel core pent D

2 stealth 120mm fans

2 stealth 90mm fans

1 HD cooler

2 bars of 1 gig 5400C4

2 bars of 512MB 5400C4

1 standard non-special keyboard

1 Logitech MX1000 lazer mouse

thats everything plugged into my computer.

Please point me in the right direction as to a problem or what I should do next.

Thank you RAM Guy

• Corsair Employees
It is not suggested to mix memory they should be able to run together, but some chipsets just will not run well when mixing memory. I would just use the two One Gig modules for best performance.

i guess i was not as clear as i should have been. all for modules are 5400C4. the only difference is the 2 1gig modules are 6 months newer. When running the 2 new modules i still have only 1 working. Since all the memory is of the same type I expected to have 3gig total, but at this point i would be happy with just the 2 1gig modules working.

• Corsair Employees
Yes but they will be made with different IC's and some MB's need to have all of the modules exactly matched. But you can try and install them so they are not in Dual channel with each other IE two 512 Meg sticks in slots 2-4 and 2 1.0 Gig modules in slots 1-3 and then load setup defaults and set the memory voltage to 2.0 Volts and just let the timings be set by SPD or AUTO.

• 2 weeks later...
Well i have moved the 2 modules of 512 out of the picture for a while. Now working only with 2 1gig modules of the ram i have tried them. 1 at a time it registers as 1 gig. together it registers as 1,247 gig. I know the slots aren't bad as the old memory was using these slots and i tested the other two slots with the old memory and it works fine. I am not sure why this is happening but it is becoming a real hassle. what should i do ram guy?

• Corsair Employees
How much memory is showing in BIOS and have you tested with http://www.memtest.org to see if all the memory is showing? Also try and go to BIOS setup with both modules installed and load setup defaults and then set the memory voltage and timings and let the system boot with a memtest disk and see if its all showing.

the BIOS shows 1152. I loaded defaults and it still showed 1152. Ran memtest and it only showed 1152, and lots of errors. i think my modules are defective, but as i'm not the Ram Guy i can't say so for sure. What is the next step for me now?

Archived