Corsair Community

my memory fails me

strivingforgold

I have a question about my PC memory, compatibility and reported figures.

Ok, to start some system specs…

abit AW9D-Max motherboard (latest BIOS)

C2D E6700 2.66GHz CPU

Windows Vista

750W PSU

And importantly… Twin2X2048-6400C4 800MHz(4-4-4-12-22-2T)

4-4-4-12-22  this is the bit that bothers me. My motherboard on AUTO sets the memory to 5-5-5-15-21-2T and if I try to set the memory myself to 4-4-4-12-21 the PC fails to even boot. Now this is on stock CPU/FSB speeds ie not overclocked and I have tried upping the memory voltage in stages from 1.80v up to 2.40v – BUT the PC fails to boot at 4-4-4-12!!

Help me understand :-/

Or at least comfort me

S.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

is that some sort of cut-and-paste bog standard response to 99% of the problems you see on this site??

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version

it says that i have in my post

set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts

er read my post

then set the timings manually

hmmm did you read my post?

set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have

well i purchased the CM2X2048 PC2-6400C4 44412 memory and paid the cost for it, are you saying that it may not even run at 44412 and that corsair are now laughing at the extra money i spent for no good reason?

• Corsair Employees

Yes I read your post, but ??? the point of that post was to get you to try and test the modules one at a time to see if you have a failing module. Or some other problem!

and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org!

DID YOU TEST THE MODULES ONE AT TIME?

And if so what was the out come, did they pass http://www.memtest.org one up?

if I try to set the memory myself to 4-4-4-12-21 the PC fails to even boot.

I have tried upping the memory voltage in stages from 1.80v up to 2.40v – BUT the PC fails to boot at 4-4-4-12!!

i cannot get past the BEEP BEEPing sound from the PC speaker when selecting the memory specific timings of 44412

I can memtest 55515 all day long!

Yes I read your post

did you?

• Corsair Employees

Did that happen with ether module one at a time? I don't see where you mentioned that, did you?

I have a question about my PC memory, compatibility and reported figures.

Ok, to start some system specs…

abit AW9D-Max motherboard (latest BIOS)

C2D E6700 2.66GHz CPU

Windows Vista

750W PSU

And importantly… Twin2X2048-6400C4 800MHz(4-4-4-12-22-2T)

4-4-4-12-22  this is the bit that bothers me. My motherboard on AUTO sets the memory to 5-5-5-15-21-2T and if I try to set the memory myself to 4-4-4-12-21 the PC fails to even boot. Now this is on stock CPU/FSB speeds ie not overclocked and I have tried upping the memory voltage in stages from 1.80v up to 2.40v – BUT the PC fails to boot at 4-4-4-12!!

Help me understand :-/

Or at least comfort me

If you get the same result with either module running one up, that would suggest some other problem, do you have another system you can test the modules with?

Or if you just want to get them replaced I have no problem with that, but when we receive them we will test the modules and if they pass the production test they may be returned to you.

And the SPD is set to JEDEC defined values so they will post with out the increased Voltage this is explained in XMS Qualification and Testing! As well as its mentioned on the Data sheet and one the package, unless it has changed which is possible.

• Corsair Employees

I would talk to your reseller and see if they will help you, and the SPD info shows correctly. If they will not or cannot help you then please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it![/b]

However, what you have posted would suggest some other problem, if the system will not post with either module when set to Cas 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 Volts.

Archived