Corsair Community

Intel DQ965GF & Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX

ptsnapp

I am the happy recipient of 4GB of Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX memory in two sticks. This is 800MHz and I have an Intel DQ965GF motherboard. The manual and online product guide indicate that the motherboard will support 4GB of 800 MHZDDR2 memory with one 2GB stick in Channel A0 and one in Channel B0. When I do a compatible memory search on http://www.corsair.com, it only gives me 533 and 667 MHz options. Will this memory be OK with the motherboard?

• Corsair Employees
Yes there should not be any problems, but Intel might need to update the MB Bios for it to work properly and you would need to be running an 1066 FSB CPU in order to run DDR800.

Thanks, RAMGuy. What would be the consequence of using the 800MHz RAM with an 800MHz FSB CPU?

The RAM I have was a gift and I do not know where it was purchased from to be able to swap for slower memory. Would Corsair consider taking this RAM in exchange for two VS2GB667D2 G RAM. I would probably buy two more sticks of this for 8GB total RAM if Corsair could do this.

RAM Guy--

Thanks again. The CPU and the mobo docs indicate that they would support 8GB of RAM at 667. I will install the gift at 667 and see how that works. If that works OK. I will probably and very quickly buy the extra 4GB. Never hurts to have extra memory. I guess my question is whether the extra 4GB, if it has to run at 533 vs. 4GB at 667, is there that much performance difference? If so, which scenario makes more sense? If it were not a gift, I would probably dump the project, but want to make the best sense of all of it. I think that 8GB vs. 4GB at any speed differential would be preferable. ???

BTW, I appreciate the quick response. Not a normal tech support experience for most of us. You are doing a great job.

Awesome, dude. Reponse time from you is almost like live chat, except I don't have to wait as long. The docs on the CPU at 800MHz FSB indicates support for 8GB at 667. I will tread lightly an start with the 4GB and then grow. If I have to gear down to 533, so be it, assuming that 8GB at 533 is overall better perf than 4GB at 667. ???? I do appreciate the input.

RAM Guy--

Thanks again. I will start with 4GB, then after all is settled out, I will buy the next four and try it at 667. If it works at 667 or has to be geared down to 533 for 8GB I will report back. Do you have any performance tests/specs that address running 667 or 533 on an 800MHz FSB, specifically with any degradations or boosts from making any kind of change to RAM capacity/frequency:laughing?

RAM Guy--Thanks for all the help. I am waiting on two 1TB Hitachi SATA drives. Once I have those, then I will power up and do some software loading, run some tests, etc. Then I will purchase the next 4GB of Corsair RAM matching what is in place now and run tests and benchmarks against the 4TB scenario. I will keep you posted.:biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...
Yes there should not be any problems, but Intel might need to update the MB Bios for it to work properly and you would need to be running an 1066 FSB CPU in order to run DDR800.

Do you definitely need a 1066 MHz FSB processor to use 800MHz DDR2 RAM? Page 19 of the following document,

http://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/gf/D5602101US.pdf

asserts than you can run both at 800MHz.

Secondly, the memory configurator doesn't recommend any 800MHz RAM for this motherboard. Is that just because the mobo only supplies 1.8v whereas the 800MHz Corsair RAM requires 2.1v?

Chris

• Corsair Employees

Sometimes the manuals are not clear when referencing all CPU speed grades, but from experience I have not seen this chipset be able to run with 4 modules at DDR800 with over volting the memory and chipset. And this MB does not give you those options!

• 8 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 667 or DDR2 533 DIMMs;

4 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 800 DIMMs. Refer to

Section 2.1.1 on page 49 for information on the total amount of addressable

memory.

• Minimum total system memory: 512 MB

• Non-ECC DIMMs

We did not make a DDR2-800 module that would run at 1.8 Volts until recently and that would be our Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX or Twin2x2048-6400C5DHX modules only.

You might get 2 single sided modules to run at DDR800 with a 800 FSB CPU but as I suggested best performance would be with a 1066 FSB CPU.

Sometimes the manuals are not clear when referencing all CPU speed grades, but from experience I have not seen this chipset be able to run with 4 modules at DDR800 with over volting the memory and chipset. And this MB does not give you those options!

We did not make a DDR2-800 module that would run at 1.8 Volts until recently and that would be our Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX or Twin2x2048-6400C5DHX modules only.

You might get 2 single sided modules to run at DDR800 with a 800 FSB CPU but as I suggested best performance would be with a 1066 FSB CPU.

Are these two likely to make it into the configurator for this motherboard then? Can you (or point me in the direction of a resource that does) explain why I might struggle to get RAM to run at DDR800 with an 800 MHz FSB. It does seem tantamount to false advertising on Intel's part to claim it'll work when it won't.

Finally, are the, Twin2x4096-6400C5DHX or Twin2x2048-6400C5DHX single or double sided?

Many thanks for the assistance.

Regards,

Chris

Archived