Corsair Community

Very strange problem resuming from sleep in Vista - mem timings

Robbie G

Hi all.

I've had a problem whereby I could not resume from sleep in Vista x64 when my machine was overclocked. Because I overclocked CPU and memory at the same time I went back over and did some chronic trouble-shooting to try and figure it out.

I have established the following:

when my memory (Corsair XMS2 PC6400 [2x1Gb DIMM]) is at 4-4-4-12, it will boot and work perfectly when the memory is clocked asyncronously from the FSB i.e. greater than 800 MHz but it will not resume from sleep! E.g. when the multi is 2.4 with a 400 FSB, i.e. mem is at 960 MHz at 4-4-4-12, the PC will boot and function a.o.k., games and everything, but WILL NOT RESUME FROM SLEEP MODE!!

Has this bug been documented? I'm not necessarily blaming anything or anyone as obviously I'm overclocking the memory but I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has experienced or documented this.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but if you are over clocking that is not uncommon for these types of features not work properly in fact I would not suggest using suspend or sleep mode when ever you are over clocking or your HDD might become corrupt.

Overclocking and using sleep mode can corrupt your HDD?? Well I never knew that! I though the S3 sleep state just copied files to memory. I never sleep unless all programs (apart from TSRs) are closed anyway.

Anyway as I say the machine can go in and out of sleep all day long no worries, it's just as soon as I put my memory past 800 MHz it fails to resume from sleep. I think it's very strange and since my 1.6 GHz CPU is now clocked at 3.2GHz and sleep works fine I can't see how you can say "don't use sleep when you're overclocking".

This is purely an issue with the memory, in that it won't play ball with sleep when even slightly over-clocked at standard timings. What's the maximum safe voltage for these chips?

Archived