Corsair Community

New 16GB FV write speed very slow, 1/3 my 8GB FV

selze

Just purchased a new 16GB FV and formatted NTFS. I found very slow speeds. 500meg folder took over 60 seconds to write.

I have a 6 month old 8GB FV ( not GT ) NTFS formatted and the same folder took 20 seconds.

Tried more files and 2 different PC's and still the same, new 16GB 2-3 times slower than my 8GB FV.

Just installed HD bench and used 100MB option.

8 GB

Read 26549

Write 19076

RamdomRead 23443

RamdomWrite 3920

16 GB

Read 20046

Write 7403

RamdomRead 26834

RamdomWrite 1516

Surely this isn't right ?

Very disappointing results.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Is there a 16GB GT coming ?

The above tests I did at work. Just got home.

On my sons new Vista HP laptop, Vista reported

8GB FV 15mb/sec

16GB FV 4mb/sec

But the worst was on my main desktop machine. Where the FV would get used the most. This machine has a early ASUS P4P800 motherboard which won't run non-powered USB products from the front ports. So I always use the rear ports.

Copying a 200meg file to the 8GB FV connected at the back just under 15 seconds.

Connecting the 16GB to the rear USB and the unit installed fine. Copying the same 200meg file to the 16GB 3 minutes first try and then 5 minutes second try.

Does the 16GB FV have a higher power requirement than the 8GB FV ?

Do you think my new 16GB is faulty ?

Thanks.

Compact 16GB flash sticks are always based now on cheaper MLC memory chips, which allow double the memory size but only 1/4 the write speed, compared to same generation SLC memory chips. Your faster 8GB stick is apparently based on SLC chips. SLC chips that would allow to build 16GB flash sticks are not yet in mass production.

Due the un-usability of this 16GB FV on my P4P800 I've returned the unit and got a refund. This unit must have a higher power requirement than my 8GB unit. My P4P800 seem to be slowing down to USB 1 speeds where the 8Gb was great.

I've owed 1,2,4 and 8 GB FV and all were reliable and fast.

This decision by corsair to go cheap was a bad decision. The speed is gone.

I normally research all my purchases and noticed that the corsair web site didn't seem to have spec's any more, but I decided to trust corsair with the purchase of the 16GB unit, what a mistake.

Many of my work mates, relatives and friends have bought FV after my recommendations. I'll now have to change my recommendations.

Come on Corsair bring back your speed and quality.

• Corsair Employees
Compact 16GB flash sticks are always based now on cheaper MLC memory chips, which allow double the memory size but only 1/4 the write speed, compared to same generation SLC memory chips. Your faster 8GB stick is apparently based on SLC chips. SLC chips that would allow to build 16GB flash sticks are not yet in mass production.

Robert,

Is correct at this time there is no other way to Build a 16 Gig Flash product except with MLC based controllers which are slower

16 GB

Read 20046

Write 7403

RamdomRead 26834

RamdomWrite 1516

While its a bit slow perhaps its with in spec, I would try and format the Drive from a command Prompt and then run the test again if you still have it, but it will be slower than our older FV or FV GT versions.

• Corsair Employees

I would suggest getting our GT version if you want SLC.

Any idea if a 16GB GT is coming ?

No I am sorry there is no controller at this time that is SLC based that will support the higher density memory.

Archived