Corsair Community

Thought I had bad RAM, Memtest86 uncovered the problem

To make this to the point; there is enough cumulative tolerances in a 185 and a 240 pin module socket to allow a module to be a hair off center and allow a few contacts or so to not be aligned. It is not enough to have a module firmly seated, use plenty of light to check that you have the module contacts centered on the socket contacts. Look close and you will see what I mean. Memtest86, the latest version on CD, showed me 6 serious memory errors that were driving me nuts. I will always check memory installations with Memtest86 now. Memtest86 instructions could be a bit easier to follow and what you see on the screen could be a bit easier to follow, but let it run through enough passes until you find or don't find any errors. Memtest86 has had a lot of work put into it, it is worth $10 for the CD to support the effort, and to me it is worth every cent. You can also download the earlier versions. I hope this helps some of you.

• Corsair Employee

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here, but if you are getting a few errors in memtest, I would try and set the memory voltage up a few tenths of a volt and see if that stops the errors.

MAX DDR1 Voltage would be 2.9 Volts and

MAX DDR2 Voltage would be 2.1 Volts.

Ran Guy, I think I can clear this up. If you put a memory stick in place, and before you seat it, you will usually find that you can move it horizontally, longways of course, a small amount. If you make sure to have plenty of light, you will be able to see the centering and alignment of the module contacts with the socket contacts before you seat them. This didn't seem to be much of a problem with 166 pin memory, but with 184 and 240 pin memory, the contacts are getting narrower. Now it is possible for a few contacts to not make contact, if you have the module all the way on one end of the travel before you seat it. This was my condition and it had me going until I found it.

You can't easily see the contacts alignment, once the module is seated. I have Corsair memory in an Epox motherboard and this is what I found to be the problem. There was just enough play in the memory sockets that some of the memory contacts missed the socket contacts. Without Memtest86 from Memtest86.com I would not have found this. If you or anyone else has a m/b that is not in a case and you look close, I think you can see what I mean. This is not an electronic problem, but simply a mechanical one. If you are careful on centering before seating the memory, this will prevent some memory errors. Let me know if I made it clear enough. Ram guy, I hope you don't just blow this off without checking for yourself, I do have 27 years of design experience although not with computers and I have solved a few other problems. One last point, doesn't it seem strange that there are so many complaints of bad ram, so doesn't it sem possible that there could be a simple mechanical problem as I am suggesting. Engineering needs to close up their tolerances, if they are going to keep adding more contacts in so little space.

• Corsair Employee
If that is the case I would suggest using a MB maker that is not using memory sockets that cost less than 17 cents a socket. Our memory modules are all made with a PCB design that is accepted by JEDEC and if its one we have designed trust me we will meet or exceed the specifications.

If that is the case I would suggest using a MB maker that is not using memory sockets that cost less than 17 cents a socket. Our memory modules are all made with a PCB design that is accepted by JEDEC and if its one we have designed trust me we will meet or exceed the specifications.

Ram Guy, from the above quote, I assume you don't consider what I tried to explain possible. Before complaining about Corsair memory, I closely examined everything and using Memtest86 I was able to find out what my problem was. I have no errors now that I made sure to have all of the contacts exactly centered before seating them. It disappoints me that you wouldn't even consider looking at what I was trying to explain, but thats all right, becuase maybe the time I took to post will help someone else.

I think he sees that you're suggesting it's a physical problem, but he's just saying that they have strict physical guidelines, which is to be expected.

Here's the thing: Have you examined more than one stick (from different packs), and more than one motherboard memory slot (in a different motherboard)? If not, then it could just be a goof on any end, or both. More info is needed to make a broad statement concerning anything.

• Corsair Employee

If you feel its your modules I have no problem replacing them, but I dont think what you are trying to say if I understand it correctly is realistic eveything considered. However, its is possible you just have a failing module but I really would suspect its some other issue.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived