Corsair Community

2 gigs on Asus a7v8x-x?

Binary

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

What I don't get is don't I have 3 banks of 1 (or each slot is a bank)? So it supports 2 banks (or 2 slots) of pc3200, but then they mention a 4th bank with pc2700 :/

• 3 months later...

:confused:

I thought I understood this, so just put a 2GB TwinX pair (of XMS CMX1024-3200C2PT) in slots 1 & 3 of my A7V8X-X (revision 1.01 with 1013 BIOS)/Athlon XP2800+running at 333 (2x166) MHz FSB (even though I just happen to have a third XMS CMX1024-3200C2PT module handy).

But when I asked Asus they said it WILL take 3 of these modules (to reach the board's quoted max of 3GB), and the board will automatically set it to run at the right speed (whatever that is; currently says it is running at 165.7 MHz). So can I or can't I run it with 3 of these modules (ie without breaking anything)? Does anybody know for sure?

IIRC, the A7V8X-X's memory controller is single channel only. And as the manual stated, the memory controller can only run at DDR333 (PC2700) speed if four ranks of memory are installed. All 1GB DDR1 modules are double-ranked; thus, as the result of both the memory controller's limitations and the economic unfeasibility of the manufacture of unbuffered non-ECC DDR1 modules larger than 1GB in size, the maximum practical memory capacity of the A7V8X-X at DDR400 (PC3200) speed is only 1GB. And the A7V8X-X can support 3GB of memory -- but since achieving 3GB of memory involves using six ranks of memory (via three double-ranked modules), the memory controller can run only at DDR266 (PC2100) or DDR200 (PC1600) speed with that many ranks of memory.

Archived