Corsair Community

4 GB RAM for Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R

ddrum2000

I want to use 4 GB of RAM in a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R for scientific simulations. I was thinking 4 GB of 1066 MHz RAM CL5 but would 4 GB of 800 MHz RAM CL4 be faster. Also I was not planning on overclocking past the memory specs because I need my system to be very stable for multiple day simulations. What parts would you recommend and also 2 x 2 GB sticks or 4 x 1 GB sticks. I will be using a C2Q 6600 both with Vista 64-bit and 64-bit linux. Thanks.

I agree with RamGuy that two modules is almost always better than four on any system when upgrading.

On the other hand, I would personally suggest you lean towards standard speeds and absolutely NO overclocking whatsoever on a PC that will be used for scientific analysis. Memory that is rated for a higher than standard speed will be of no benefit to you when run at SPD-determined timings because they are generally the same timings as standard speed modules. You can run the modules at standard speed and reduced timings, but this is in essence overclocking which unless very carefully implemented should not be used for scientific analysis.

I'm currently running the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX modules in my system at stock speeds and have had nothing but excellent and 100% stable results. BTW this is running in Vista Ultimate x64. Your best bet would be to search the 'net and see what results others are having with memory compatibility using your motherboard.

-Dom

Archived