Corsair Community

Not enough Power?

NitroLiq

Hi folks, first post here. I've been running two 512MB Corsair XMS (333) modules for my Intel D865PERL for awhile and it's been great. Long story short, one went south and I didn't realize I had a lifetime warranty on it and tossed it. Just picked up two 1GB modules (400) and to my surprise, system powers off when loading up XP. I tested each module by themselves and each works fine on its own but when I load up both of them...it sees the 2GB in the sytem but after the blue XP load screen, soft powers off. I believe this is a protection mechanism on my mobo.

My board can handle up to 4GB and I'm not really stressing out the PSU AFAIK. It's 485w and I'm only running one HD, one vid card, one pro audio card, dvd drive, and burner...standard fare. Do the 1GB modules draw much more than the 512 modules? Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? The only thing I can think of is the PSU not being strong enough but like I said, 485w seems like it should be fine.

Pete

I doubt it's the supply, with the components you've listed it should have more than enough headroom. The problem's the board. The Intel D865PERL is a fixed RAM voltage board (2.5volts, pg. 17 of the board's manual), so there's no optionin the BIOS to bump ddr voltage. The pair of sticks you bought are designed to run at 400Mhz at 2.7 to 2.75volts. You may be able to get both sticks to run at 333Mhz however by going into the BIOS and taking the "SDRAM frequency" setting off of "Auto" and selecting 333Mhz (pg. 85 of the board's manual). Trick works about half the time. The link to your board's manual:

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865perl/rl_English.pdf

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to adjust the SDRAM frequency tonight and will report back. Couple of questions...If the voltage is a concern, why wouldn't there be a problem running an individual module? I've had one of the 1GB modules in my machine for the past few days and have been working on it all weekend with no problem. Now, If I RMA'd the 1GB modules...would it make sense to pick up the 512mb modules (also 400) or are those running at the same voltage as the 1GB versions? Corsair apparently doesn't make the 333 versions anymore.

RG, I think you're misunderstanding. I'm not mixing memory at all. Previously, I had two CMX512-3200 modules installed. (I have to correct myself here...I thought they were 333 but apparently they are 400, same as the new modules). After a couple years without a hitch, one of the modules went bad so rather than find another 512 module, I decided to upgrade to 2GB. I bought two CMX1024-3200C2 modules last week, removed the 512 module and installed the new pair. Each one works on it's own but if you put them both in at the same time...it soft-powers off. Right now, I just have one of the new modules in and things have been running flawlessly...it only seems to be a problem when I try to run both.

• Corsair Employees
This MB will not let you set the minimum suggested voltage of 2.75 Volts and may not support these modules but I would try and load setup defaults and then set the memory frequency at DDR333 and set the timings manually to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and see if its stable.

This MB will not let you set the minimum suggested voltage of 2.75 Volts and may not support these modules but I would try and load setup defaults and then set the memory frequency at DDR333 and set the timings manually to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and see if its stable.

Worked like a charm...no memtest errors...thanks!

Archived