Corsair Community

Bad Memory

Hi,

I have two sticks of CMX1024 3200 C2 Pro memory that are bad. I have noticed instability in my system when gaming and after trying the usual fixes I checked my RAM memory with both GoldMemory and the Microsoft RAM memory testing software. Both indicate lots of errors with the chips. What options are available to resolve this issue?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS and load setup defaults set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Thanks for the quick response. I have the latest bios installed but I'm not sure what you mean by:

"set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have"

What 'tested settings' are you referring to? The modules have been running at the default settings from when I first installed them. The instability issues are a recent phenomena.

I went to Memtest.org and downloaded memtest86+-1.70.floppy.zip. After unzipping the file I got the file memtest86+-1.70.floppy. It’s not an executable or batch file. Could you please clarify? The Memtest site is not very explanatory.

• Corsair Employees

First you would download the memtest utility to your HDD, then using http://www.winzip.com extract it to the same directory.

Please then get a floppy and do a fresh full format on it, and if there are any bad sectors just throw it away and get a new one. Then click on the install.bat file in the directory where you downloaded and extracted the files and follow the on screen prompts.

Please note that you have to create a folder no more than 6 sub-folders deep or the batch file will not run.

Thanks for your advice however there is something wrong with the file I downloaded from your memtest utility link. I get a zipped file called "memtest86+-1.70.floppy.zip" When I unzip it with Winrar I get a file called "memtest86+-1.70.floppy" which is unusable. When I unzip it with Winzip I get an error message saying the file is not a valid archive. I've deleted memtest86+-1.70.floppy several times and redownloaded but I get the same results.

Archived