Corsair Community

ASUS Crosshair + Corsair CM2x1024-6400

tbonus

Currently I have 1 stick of Corsair CM2x1024-6400 in my b1 memory slot. Everything runs great and there are issues. When I stick my 2nd stick of memory into the a1 slot it starts up and runs for a while and then I just get a blue screen and it crashes. I turn it back on it runs ok for a while (30mins- 1hr or so) and then all the sudden it gives me the blue screen and crashes. It only crashes when I put the 2nd stick of memory in. So I'm a bit confused about what the issue could be.

Just a few specs...

I am running an ASUS Crosshair motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dualcore 6000+ 3ghz cpu. A thermaltake 750W psu, 500gb western digital harddrive. For my graphics card I have a EVGA geforce 8800 GTS 320mb.

I tried running a memtest but when I downloaded it and tried to open the zip up with winzip it said "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive.

If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again."

And I tried redownloading again with no luck.

Thanks

EDIT (x2): I put the 2nd stick in and have been running machine while running game that caused the crash before for an **2hrs** now with no issue. my DDR2 on my asus monitor reads 1.95V-1.94V and the DDR2 Term(ination) is 0.96V

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts and Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and set the tested settings set manually and then test the modules again with the Voltage set to 2.0 Volts! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure!

still having some issues getting it to like download. I'm going to have a friend try it on his computer and put it on a floppy and drive it over. It has been running great at 1.975 volts until earlier today when I got my first BSOD in about 2 days.. I was downloading a movie trailer and I was playing a game at the same time. The computer crashed and BSOD'd. Started back up and tried to open the movie trailer which was in a .zip file and BSOD'd again. Maybe the computer has an issue with ZIP files.. i'm not sure. I still can't get into the BIOS menus without it freezing as well (to change the latency)...

I'm kind of in a jam about the latency issue. Is it really that necessary to change that and are there other ways to do it?

• Corsair Employees
Yes you should load setup defaults in the BIOS setup and then set the tested settings and set ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and set the tested settings set manually and then test the modules again with the Voltage set to 2.0 Volts! Then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure! In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ok for the latency.. I changed the "Write Data Timing Control" to 15.... I did this with only 1 stick of memory in because it didn't freeze when I went through the bios. I have it set to 2.0volts as well. I put the 2nd stick in and I tried to go through the BIOS menus and it just froze at about the 5th tab (before the latency change it would freeze at the 2nd tab). I will be able to get the memtest tonight from my friend and I will run it then. Thank you for the advice about disabling the legacy USB if I have a problem!

Attempted doing memtest

Ok. I tried doing it with usb legacy controller enabled... started up normal and went to windows screen etc....

Then I disabled it. It went through bios.. Then I got a black screen with a _ in the top left corner nothing happened. I tried pressing c to see if a menu would come up... nothing. sat there probably 10 mins just the _ in top left corner. I shut the computer down and took 2nd stick out. I have no idea what is going on but in the bios it said the ram timing was like 800mhz-5-5-5-18-2t i believe.

What should I do next....any other way to test this memory stick... Like I will try to put in the one i keep taking out in the slot that the other stick has always been in and see if it starts.. I mean this really is irritating :(

ok, but can I keep the good stick because without I won't have anything to run my machine with and it hasn't given me any problems.

I will do the RMA when I get back from vacation on Monday because I'm leaving tomorrow.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Archived