Corsair Community

BSOD with 1066 Dominator and Asus P5k Deluxe

Outcomer

Everytime I set the DRAM frequency to DDR2 1067 in the Asus Jumper Free config in the bios, once Vista 64 loads, within a minute or so, I get a BSOD.

When I first change the DRAM frequency, and I save and exit the bios, I don't even see the loading progress meter that shows when Windows is loading... it restarts... Then after that it goes ahead and loads up fine... but then thats when a minute later after I log in, I get the BSOD.

If I leave eveything at auto, the system runs fine. I've done a standard memory diagnostics, and Vista reports that there are no errors in the memory. I guess next I will do an expanded memory diagnostic.

The only reason I decided to change it to the 1066 frequency instead of leaving it at auto is because I noticed in the Windows Experience Rating my ram was rated only 1 rating above my processor, which made me think it was running at 800 mhz instead of 1066. I read about it in the P5k deluxe manual and it says that the AUTO setting on the ram frequency doesn't automatically do 1066.

Do I have bad memory? I just purchased it about 3 weeks ago.

Not sure if you need my system specs because I put them in my profile, but here they are anyways.

Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 running at stock speed

2 gb Corsair Dominator PC8500

Asus P5k Deluxe

Since I posted, I updated the bios to the newest version released a week and a half ago. Now if I set the frequency to AUTO, I am getting the BSODs... They now come much sooner... I have yet to make it all the way into Windows yet. I assume that the bios update made the auto setting actually detect the 1066 frequency... so it must be setting it to that.

I also went back and tried manually setting it to 1066 again. This time I adjusted the timings manually to 5 5 5 15 2t with a DRAM voltage of 2.2. Got the same thing... BSOD before windows even loaded.

So I set it to DDR2 800 and it seems to be running ok. I haven't used it much since then, but it seems ok. I did an expanded memory test and it said everything was fine... but that was running at DDR2 800. I am going to attempt to do one with 1066.

• Corsair Employee
Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts then set the tested settings and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

The ram seems to run ok so far by themselves at 1066. I've used the Vista memory diagnostic program that runs at start up. did extended tests on one of the two... going to do the other one tonight. so far no errors found.

I tried downloading memtest like you said Ramguy, but the files on the FTP site are corrupted. None of the zip files will open.

4 questions now:

1. When I first reset the bios, turned off legacy USB support, set the dram frequency to 1066 and the voltage to 2.2, it actually loaded windows fine... everything was ok. Then I restarted it and it failed again and again and again. Could this be a heat issue? I am running this in a Antec 900 case, so plenty of air flow. I just bought the corsair ram cooler fan in case. should be in this week sometime.

2. Since it seems to run fine individually, could this be a wattage issue? I am running it on an antec 500 watt powersupply. Do you think I need more? I'm running 3 120 mm fans, a dvd burner, 2 hard drives, a slot exhaust fan, a 200 mm fan, and an x1800 video card with its own exhaust fan.

3. If the black slots are indeed different than the yellow slots, why was this designed this way? Does that mean there is no way to run 4 at 1066? I've read other posts saying that they had no trouble getting 4 pieces of the 8500 dominators running on a P5k.

4. Eva2000, I've never messed with timings before this board. I've read a lot about it, and made sure to do so before I do anything. But you said 10 42... is that replacing the 5 5 5 15? Are those in the order they are listed in the bios? The 42 threw me off I think. Also, is the northbridge voltage the same as the dram voltage setting, or are there separate voltages settings for both of them?

here's a bios template to share you settings

10-42-10-10-10 refers to subtimings below

JumperFree Configuration Settings

AI Overclocking: Manual

CPU Ratio Control: Manual

- Ratio CMOS Setting: 9

FSB Frequency: 266

PCI-E Frequency: 100

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1066 (at 266FSB defaults to 2:3 for AUTO)

DRAM Command Rate: 2T

DRAM Timing Control: Manual

CAS# Latency: 5

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5

RAS# Precharge: 5

RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15

TWR: 10

TRFC: 42

TWTR: 10

TRRD: 10

TRTP: 10

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

Transaction Booster: AUTO

Boost Level: (only displayes when Transaction Booster is set to Disable or Enabled)

Clock Over-Charging Mode: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: what every vcore you need for stable cpu clock

CPU Voltage Reference: AUTO

CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.5

DRAM Voltage: 2.20

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.3

North Bridge Voltage: 1.4v - 1.55v

North Bridge Voltage Reference: AUTO

South Bridge Voltage: 1.05

Advance CPU Settings

CPU Ratio Control: Manual

- Ratio CMOS Setting: 9

C1E Suppport: Disabaled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabaled

Vanderpool Technology: Disabaled

CPU TM Function: Disabaled

Execute Disable Bit: Disabaled

PECI: Enabled

USB Configuration

USB Functions: Enabled

Legacy USB Support: Disabled (need to enable it to detect USB flash drives)

i think you get the wrong idea, when Asus made black slots better it was just that.. black better than yellow.. rather than black same as yellow.. so 4 dimm oc'ing isn't that bad anyway

not sure why they didn't make yellow same as black - they have yet to disclose why - could be some engineering design ???

Seems to be running fine now... I appreciate it!

I was reading somewhere else that they may be releasing another bios update very soon that will fix the issue of the black vs yellow incompatabilities... did you hear anything about that?

Also, I noticed in Cpu-z that my timing is 1:2 now... is that because I am using the intel power save thing (speed step maybe?)? can't remember what it is... but my cpu bus speed is now exactly half the speed of my ram.

• Corsair Employee

That is normal about the memory and CPU frequency

DDR2 Memory runs at:

DDR2-533 = 266 Clock Frequency 2 X 266 = DDR2 533

DDR2-667 = 333 Clock Frequency 2 X 333 = DDR2 667

DDR2-800 = 400 Clock Frequency 2 X 400 = DDR2 800

DDR2-1066 = 533Clock Frequency 2 X 533 = DDR2 1066

Intel CPU:

533 MHz = 133 MHz Clock Freq. 133 X 4

800 MHz = 200 MHz Clock Freq. 200 X 4

1066 MHz = 266 MHz Clock Freq. 266 x 4

And I would talk to the MB maker about your other questions.

Archived