Corsair Community

TWINX 1024-3200CPT Won't play together

Oldensign

Originally, I bought a single 1 GB kit for use in an Intel D865PERL dual-channel motherboard. All was well until I decided to add a second TWINX 1 GB kit. Individually, either kit runs at 400 MHz. Together, they run no faster than 320 MHz.

I have added a few Asus P4C800-E Deluxe dual-channel motherboards to replace older motherboards. Again, any 1 GB kit of TWINX1024-3200CPT runs at 400 MHz, both in the BIOS display and when tested with MEMTEST86. Any two pair together won't run faster than 320 MHz. I have used the timing suggestions in these forums, but nothing changes from when I selected speed by SPD in the BIOS chipset settings.

I've sort of "solved" the problem by purchasing 2048 MB kits to start with. However, I still have 1024 MB kits that don't play well together. The lot numbers are 0514011-0, 0531060-1, and 0451116-3.

The CPUs all have 800 MHz FSB, and are 3.0, 3.2, and 3.4 GHz Pentium 4s.

Attempting to combine a TWINX1024 kit with a TWINX512 kit is even worse. The best speed I can get is 266 MHz.

I've learned from (bitter) experience that RAM sockets have a limited life, so I'm not comfortable with playing mix-n-match too many times.

I'm sure this question has come up before, but I didn't find this exact problem of two TWINX1024 kits working together at full speed addressed in previous posts.

Or maybe 320 MHz is almost as good as 400, and I should just stop fussing.

:eek:

• Corsair Employees

Mixing memory is hit and miss and its normal for the MB especially OEM style MB's like Boxed Intel MB's to slow the memory down when you populate all four slots. There is more loading on the system and it will do that by default.

With a MB like the ASUS MB all of the module should be exactly matched both in part# and in revision and then you can force the system to DDR400 and I would suggest just letting the BIos set the timings and set the memory Voltage to 2.75 Volts Minimum.

Archived