Corsair Community

Floppy boot sector on Corsair Flash Voyager

davedb

Hi all,

(First post. Hope it's not in the wrong place. I read the rules.)

I had attempted to make my 16 GB Voyager key emulate a floppy. I had to copy a floppy boot sector to it using a utility. Unfortunately, the utility doesn't provide a means to reverse this.

I have tried many different things to get the USB key back to its OEM condition. As of right now, I can't create or delete any partitions on it, although interestingly I can format it with NTFS.

Does Corsair have any kind of low-level formatting tool available? I've used at least 5 different drive tools on a UBCD, but I simply can't get the USB key to stop "thinking" it's a floppy.

I attached an image of how it appears in XP's diskmgmt.msc. Note the floppy icon appearing in the area labeled "Disk 2".

Thanks for any wisdom.

corsair.JPG.98fead090aa6e232a4f8ed162a258482.JPG

• Corsair Employees

No I am sorry we do not have a utility at this time, but you can change the properties to non-removable and then delete the partitions on it.

Or use a Win9X Boot Disk and set the FV as a HDD in the Boot menu and use FDISK to delete the partitions.

No I am sorry we do not have a utility at this time, but you can change the properties to non-removable and then delete the partitions on it.

Or use a Win9X Boot Disk and set the FV as a HDD in the Boot menu and use FDISK to delete the partitions.

Thanks, RAM GUY.

I had tried changing it to non-removable. The upshot of which is that it allowed me to format it as NTFS. It's currently set as non-removable but I still am denied the ability to create/delete partitions from within Windows disk manager.

I haven't used FDISK on the FV, but I have tried other partitioning utils on my UBCD. I'll give FDISK a shot and see what happens. Thanks for helping. :)

Archived