Corsair Community

Added 2 more GB, Asus P5W DH doesn't see it

Mikem

I am running 2 GB of CM2x1024-6400C4 on an Asus P5W DH.

I added a second pair, but the system still only sees 2 GB, both in the BIOS and the OS (Win XP Pro, but soon to be dual boot with Vista 64 bit).

What settings do I need to change in the BIOS to get the full 4 GB to show up?

I already decreased the speed to 667 down from 800, as instructed.

Help?

-Mike

I took out the original 2 GB pair and replaced it with the new pair, and it showed up fine. I then put the old pair in the other two slots, and it's still only showing 2 GB.

So, I still have the same problem, and I don't think it's the RAM.

Still, help?

Sounds like the board's not seeing all of the RAM. Do you have the latest BIOS (non-beta 2004) installed for that board? The Link:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P5W%20DH%20Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

Normally, with 4 gigs of RAM in a system running 32-bit XP pro, users see 2.75 to 3.25 gigs of usable memory in Windows System Properties.

The board is seeing it all now. It says "4096 GB OK" during the boot up. That was fixed when I enabled the remapping.

I think it's just because I have a lot of PCI devices, so their eating up the extra RAM. So no net gain of RAM in XP. I've got 6 PCI cards, four of which are residing in a Magma chassis, connected to the board via it's own PCI card, plus an X-Fi card. So 6 PCI cards all told. And I've got a couple of USB hubs, so there's a lot of hardware going on.

I did just install a Vista partition, and Vista shows all 4 GB there.

Archived