Hi,

I have build a new system:

Asus P5B-Plus

Intel E6420

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4

Gigabyte GV-NX85T256H NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB

Seasonic S12-430HB 430W

I am not able to run my system at standard speed.

Mobo does not POST (nor beeps neither) when CPU freq is set to 266 to make the E6420 run at his stock speed of 2.13GHz with FSB at 1066 MHz.

I have entered in the bios those settings found on the Corsair web site:

Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-6400C4:

Twin2x2048-6400C4 Data Sheet

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5WD2 or M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

Performance Mode: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

CPU Core Voltage: Auto

FSB Termination V: 1.50 V

MCH Chipset V: 1.65V

ICH Chipset V: 1.20V

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts

With those setting, the system run stable (4 memtest passes with no errors) but at a lower speed, CPU runs at 1.6 GHz instead of 2.13GHz with FSB at 800 .

I try just to raise CPU freq from 200 to 266 to archive standard speed but the system froze at startup. I turn off the Power supply (CPU Parameter Recall), then reboot the system, got the message

Overclocking failed!

Hit F1 for bios or

F2 to start with the default settings

If I hit F2, Vista Start as normal but is unstable. CPU Z report the CPU running at his stock speed 2.13

GHz (8 x 266) and FSB 1066 and report the memory timings at 5-5-5-18.

I ran MemTest and it return a lot of errors with those settings.

All I wants is to run my system at stock speed, not overclocking it. Now I am an (unfortunate) underclocker!

I must admit I don't know much about memory configuration and I really need help to sort this out.

Thanks a lot

Frederic

• Corsair Employees

You really need to get a bigger PSU and have you checked with the MB maker to see if you have the latest BIOS and then the BIOS you have will support that CPU.

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hi RAM GUY,

I have the P5B-Plus latest BIOS (0604). The E6420 is on the supported list as well as the memory, Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4.

I have e-mailed ASUS tech support and they told me to ask Corsair about the correct memory timings to run at this speed.

So you think it should works with CPU freq at 266 and the remaining settings set to the Testing parameters?

If it is the case then it could be like you said than the PSU not delivering enought W. I tought that 430W was enought for all the component I got...

Thanks

Frederic

Unfortunately, gone are the days when you can pick a supply based on wattage alone. The minimum +12volt rail spec for the 8500gt is 18amps. That 430 Seasonic has two independent rails rated at 14 and 15 amps. They can't borrow power from each other (at least that's what it looks like), so it seems like that supply is going to have a heck of a time keeping up.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/s12.htm

Archived