Corsair Community

Corsair XMS2 6400 DHX and Striker Extreme

Levzi

Ive had a set of TWIN XMS2 6400 DHX in my PC for a while but recently started having lockup issues. Ive run Memtest and the RAM checks out fine with no errors.

Im not sure if its a mobo problem or RAM, but ive noticed the voltages for the RAM are low, around 1.86

Is this right for my RAM ? As I had a feeling it was supposed to be 2.21 or 2.22V

The correct listing is

TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

Any help would be great :D

I use Everest Pro for gettin voltage info

No nothing, it just locks up and I have to power it down. Then when I power up it wont POST. Have to leave it a couple of minutes then it will POST but then probably will lockup during windows loading.

About 4 attempts later will boot up ok, and run fine for a while then I have to go over this all again.

yeah both modules checked out. Its wierd because the lockup is totally random. Doesnt always happen.

BUT

I did get a blue screen earlier on boot, IRQ not less or equal so im thinking this locking up is a software / driver problem.

Thats great about the Core2Duo update, ive installed that, and I had the other patch already.

System is stable now, only problem is the CPU INIT problem.

Ive looked around on ASUS forums and ppl have this same problem.

Ive never had instability during POST before and apparantly its due to low voltages.

So basically I use the XMS2 TWIN4096 6400 C5DHX , and you said running it at 1.9v might help.

I will try that, but is 1.9V default or optimal ? Most seem to run RAM at 2.1 or around that.

What do you think ?

Ive set them at 1.9V and going to run memtest soon as I get 5.

But im gettin the same problem ive always had, there no trouble gettin it to POST now, it just crashes during windows loading. Sometimes hangs during the INIT stages, hard to say which one, always differs.

I think its a Striker Extreme problem, I dont think im alone with this problem. Dodgy bios is to blame.

ASUS arent the best at getting it right so it seems.

Yeah it was a brand new motherboard. Its about 3 months old. It worked great for around 2 months then I start getting random lockups. I think its a suspect driver, but that wouldnt explain the lockup before or during POST.

I get the lockup a few times but then it boots up fine and will run for hours.

Either something is overheating or there is a genuine fault with the system.

Yeah I have that BIOS flashed yesterday, touch wood, so far so good.

I dont have a different PSU tbh, the Galaxy 1000W is the only one I own.

There are a lot of ppl with random lockups using the SE.

Im sure ASUS will work on it, after all the SE was a brand new Mobo and they all go through teething troubles.

Well touch wood, its been 3 boots not one hang and not a single problem.

There are 2 differences,

1) Ive flashed 1202 BIOS

2) I removed my Corsair TurboFlash drive, which I was using for ReadyBoost.

So take ya pick which one caused it ! lol

• Corsair Employees

Try it with the Flash drive now and see of the problems comes back.

And I would suggest using an externally powered USB hub for this as the on board USB when it changes to standby or suspend might not be providing enough power and that is the cause. But I think you have the info to figure that out.

ok something interesting happened this morning, ive done a fresh install of Vista and now the system recognises 2.9gig of RAM when it only saw 2.4 gig previously. Vista obviously saw something before that it doesnt now, and is using more RAM.

Ive left the flash drive out for now, I do use an externally powered USB hub too. The Flash drive was powered from the PC though so you could be right there. ty anyways :D

• Corsair Employees

That is not uncommon, if you installed originally with less memory and this time with all four gig installed. Also You'll need to install MS patch 929777 from Microsoft for more than 3 GIG in Win Vista. you can search for it at http://www.microsoft.com.

Watch the version you have and for the patch there are more then one version of the patch depending on the version of VISTA.

Please let me know if you have any more issues with the Flash drive.

Well the system is stable ish. Flash drive is working ok now, the only problem im getting is programs not closing down. I dont think this is RAM or hardware related, but sometimes I run an application and when I close it, correctly, it wont shut down, stays in task manager and cannot be closed down from there either. Im guessing this is a vista issue.

System is much more stable though, hasnt (touch wood) hung once on boot, had the odd crash using vista, but I do sometimes overload it ie run too many apps.

I think I need new SATA drivers, so i'll browse around for them.

Ive let the BIOS auto set it. The system is almost 100% stable now. Looks like BIOS update 1202 has helped me a lot. Turns out Zonealarm and SpyWare doctor are both culprits in system instability with Vista. I dont think real time stuff works too well with vista in all honesty. There are many issues with this motherboard but the recommended RAM from ASUS is the C5DHX and it does seem to be working fine now. I am not using the Flash Drive atm with readyboost as I dont really need it now. I think ive learnt the hard way that its best to let the system decide whats best for it, ive not tweaked or changed anything in BIOS or settings and its all working just fine (touch wood) so until I go up to Vista 64 bit, I'm quite happy with this now, thanks for all your help RAM GUY , top notch work :D

I had some kind of system issue, basically it got stuck in a explorer crash loop and I couldnt break it, IE and Explorer wouldnt run. And as time went on other programs stopped working. System Restore didnt fix it so I was stuck. I have a feeling it could have been a virus, but im really not sure, so I did a system re-install again.

So far so good, and turboflash is back in and running fine, as is the RAM set at 1.9V as recommended.

Like I said so far so good, but when something bad goes wrong with Vista, its almost impossible to recover from it, unlike XP which you could do.

Caught in a catch 22 now do I go with Vista 64 bit or XP 64 bit ?

Archived