Corsair Community

Connection to PWM CPU plug

dragoneer

Intel motherboards, in general, will not post unless something is plugged into the four-pin plug for the CPU fan. So what connects to that plug to let the BIOS know that something is there? If the answer is to turn off fan control in the BIOS, then there is a problem. You can't get to the BIOS without some sensed cooling solution in place. I saw nothing about this in the installation guide I downloaded from your site.

I using a heat sink and fan (Thermaltake) on an Intel D925 motherboard. My question is prompted by the fact that if you try to boot the computer without something plugged into the CPU fan header, the BIOS logic immediately powers the computer off, a safety precaution. Since it powers off, there is no way, at that time, to change BIOS settings. So before buying a Nautilius (or any other special cooling system) I need to know there is a well thought out installation procedure. I'm very surprised that this question hasn't been posted in your forums previously.

Thank you. I could not tell that from the installation manual I downloaded from your site. I believe it mentioned two 3-pin plugs to put on the motherboard (not CPU header) and one 4-pin (molex?) to connect to power supply.

Ok I made a mistake in my first posting. I replied as to the nautilis. I corrected my article with the CWC100-1001 I got!

Ok I am really, and I mean reallly upset over this CWC100 I got TODAY in the mail. I just came across this thread on installation/bootup troubleshooting and was shocked! I just spent $2500 on a quad core system and cant get it to even boot to bios!

I just setup my CWC100 watercool system on a brand new i680 board from XFX and I followed the manual to the letter. Section 3.6 is the only information in the manual on hooking up the fan. The quick setup manual was of little help. Thank god I had another computer available to pull up the manual on the CD! There was no other owners manual!

The problem is that there is litterally NOTHING on this sensing issue mentioned in the PDF manual! I plugged in the 3 pin fan/pump wire (has only 1 wire btw, which I guess is for sensing, on the furthest right plug for the nautilis pump. Now according to my 680 manual, it goes Right to left Pin 1 (Control) which is only on 4pin plugs, then pin2 Sense, pin3 power, pin 4 ground. I guess that it has to be on the PIN2 sense because that it the only way this 3pin connector on the nautilis fan connects to the motherboard. Just to make sure it wasnt just that, I tried to plug in another regular 120mm fan with a 3 pin plug on it, just to see if it would boot! It would not! I never saw anything that you mention about a card in the box to correct this! Not even mentioned in the manual!

Second, I CAN NOT GET MY FAN ON THE RADIATOR TO TURN ON! I know that its under warranty, but there is no way I am going to RMA the whole system! I already installed it! Is there a reason why this fan would not be working? I connected it exactly according to my nautilis manual, and even replugged it into another 4 pin molex power port on my power supply.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Got it to post to bios. Appears 2 of my new 1gbx2 xms2 pc8500 ram chips were maybe the problem. I removed that set, and moved the other set over to the channels 0 and 2. I think.... Anyway, the fan that came with the Corsair cwc100 cooling system is not working. I had to setup another fan temporarily to get it to cool. I am probably going to have to RMA that fan, and after I get windows vista64 installed and patched, I will try the other 2 gbs of ram and see if I can get it to run. I know I have to download a patch from MS to update the 4gb problems in case if anyone wonders.... thanks for any replys...

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I have an XFX Force NVIDIA 680i LT SLI MCP Model#MB-N680-ILT. I have a Q6600 2.4ghz quad core, at stock mb speeds. I didnt change anything other than the voltage of the ram at 2.2v.

CPU freq:2133.3 CPUmult:8x :fsb mem clock mode :auto, FSB QDR, MHZ Actualy 1066.7, Mem DDR Mhz AUTO 800.

Memory timing settings [optimal] 5, 5, 5, 18,2t, advanced mem settings: trrd 3, trc22, twr5, twtr9, tref 7.8uS. All settings are on auto.

Under CPU configuration: Limit cpuid maxval [disabled], Intel speedstep [disabled], ppm mode native mode, CPU thermal Control [disabled], c1e enhanced halt state [enabled], Virtualizaztion Technology [enabled], Cores 0-3 all enabled.

System voltages: CPU CORE [auto] 1.25v, CPU FSB [auto] 1.2v, Memory [2.200v], Nforce spp Auto 1.20v, nForce MCP [auto] 1.500v, HTnForce SP <-> mcp [auto] 1.20v

HPET Function [Enabled]

NVIDIA GPU Ex [Enabled]

I have not attempted to tweek anything other than Ram Voltage. Was trying to get it to run stable before I attempted to do that.

I am still occasionally getting the C1 Memory error on and system freeze on bootup. I then reboot and it goes away.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

Archived