Corsair Community

How to distinguish an original product from a fake.

ale

I bought two CMX-3200C2PT memory modules from ebay. They are causing me a lot of problems, don't work with CL 2 but only CL 2,5 and, moreover, even with CL 2,5 they cause system hang after few minutes.

I suspect these modules are not original, but how can I distinguish if they are original?

I attach a photo of one memory stick because I think there is too much distance between the platinium heatspreader and I suspect somebody attached them on a cheaper memory module. What do you think?

IMGP3429.JPG.7d5924765313fab911a8c8b4f3686160.JPG

• Corsair Employees
Its possible, if they are our modules there will be "Corsair" printed on the PCB, usually on the edge of the module just under the Heat Spreader, and you can run CPU-Z and read the part# that is in the SPD as well.

Thank you very much for your reply.

The attached image shows the information from cpu-z about the supicious modules. Are they correct?

I can use my older CMX256A-3200C2PT modules with CL2 at 200MHz, should I expect the same from these?

cpu-z.PNG.d21d66b856000d5a386bd2ef6654df89.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it looks like our module!

What is the make and model of MB and CPU and its FSB that you are using like Wired asked.

Epox 8rda3+

Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton) slightly overclocked @2100 MHz (200x10.5)

FSB 200 MHz

I attach the information shown for the second module, slightly different from the other one. I hope this is not a problem.

cpu-z-2.PNG.1763826782e89fe5d1410ace86f8798c.PNG

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup defaults and then set these settings manually and test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Archived