Corsair Community

Same RAM......Two Different Voltages???

Garplo

I'm not sure if this really matters, but for my peace of mind I thought that I would pose the question to see if it does....:sigh!:

Eight months ago I built my second system and purchased the Twin CM2X1024-6400C4PRO for this system. Although I have had problems with this system (that learning curve), the RAM has worked and tested very well and I am very pleased overall. So when the opportunity came up to do some upgrading to the system, I opted for 2 more gigs of the same RAM. I purchased both sets of RAM from Newegg, the newest set just a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, one of the new sticks tested bad with memtest86 after some frustrating system instability. I checked all four sticks in all of the dimms on the motherboard and one stick consistently fails the #5 test.

Anyway....My question is this...The original Twin CM2X1024-6400C4PRO has XMS6404v2.1 on the label. The newest set of Twin CM2X1024-6400C4PRO has XMS6404v2.2 on the label. Is this the voltage that the RAM draws for power? And if it is, does it matter that even though they are the same RAM, the voltage's are different? Will this affect the system in anyway if I were to run all four gigs?

• Corsair Employees

Wait!

The v stands for version not voltage.

I am sorry but that is not correct the V2.1 V2.2 is the version of the module, as far as I know we have not started putting the Voltage for the modules on the label yet.

XM2S-6400C4 should be set to 2.1 Volts Max, Minimum is 1.9 Volts XM2S-6400C4D is 2.1 Volts.

"not correct"?

Original querry:

"My question is this...The original Twin CM2X1024-6400C4PRO has XMS6404v2.1 on the label. The newest set of Twin CM2X1024-6400C4PRO has XMS6404v2.2 on the label. Is this the voltage that the RAM draws for power?"

He's asking what the v stands for in the name. My response:

"The v stands for version not voltage."

• Corsair Employees

NP and sorry about the mistake! Please let us know if you have any more questions!

What can I say Garvinm except its not you its me and my mind left me a long time ago and said not ever call it again :eek: LOL

Archived