Corsair Community

Yet another P4C800-E Post

endymion

Well I am just another person with a question about compatability with my P4C800-E Duluxe and my TWINX CMX512-3200C2PT Ram. I bought this whole system about 2 months ago. My processor is a 3.2 p4 and I am not doing any overclocking currently. (I would like to in the future but I just want to get my system running stable first.) Over the first month or so I was not really having problems but then my computer started crashing with a bluescreen right before it restarted. I have read other posts in this forum and tried lots of different timings. All with almost the same results. Sometimes it would not even post and sometimes it would run for a few hours. I have done a memtest for about 12 hours and got errors on tests 4 and 6 about 6 times each. Not too bad but still had errors. I used 2-3-3-6 burst 8 with this test. My computer has not been running very stable for a while and seems to crash more under a heavy load. I play Battlefield 1942 a lot and it crashes while loading mostly. My system also crashes while windows is loading (after log-in). I dont know what i should do so if someone could help with some suggestions for ram timing or voltage or somthing that would be very helpful. I am kind of new to this as of this new machine I built. Thanks for the help.

First, make sure that the memory turbo option is set to AUTO and the CPU Performance Acceleration Mode is set to Standard. Also, make sure your RAM voltage is set to 2.75v. And, is this a clean install of Windows and what AGP card are you using? If this does not help, post again. Mike.

Thank you very much for your input. I will try this as soon as I get home from work. My AGP card is a 256MB GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. Also i did not mention that i have the most current BIOS update from Asus as well. My install of Windows XP Pro was after i installed everything currently in my computer except for my Audigy 2 ZS but i was having problems before that. When i first started experiencing restarts was with default BIOS settings. Also, i dont know why, but it seems to make my computer LESS stable with HT on. Dont really know why, i called intel about it and they said it was my ram. Then i called corsair and they gave me some settings which did not work, then i came here. Thats my story, and again i will try your recommendation when i get home. I do have the voltage set to 2.75 btw. Thanks a lot mike.

• Corsair Employees
If you still have problems with restarting, please try testing the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and I would set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and Disable USB Legacy support when running Memtest. So we can make sure it's not a bad module.

i had no luck whatsover with that exact setup and cl 2 timings, but at 2.5 it was stable to 225 fsb all day long with turbo and pat enabled. also, had no luck with increased voltages on mem. forget where my thread is on here, but I feel that 220 fsb=3519 mhz at 2.5 3 3 7 8 was best, most stable, no errors, setting for your setup(same as mine) with turbo on ,pat on, votage auto. all turbo does=lower cl timings automatically so its best if left off imo and set timings manually

Well I ran seperate tests on each stick of ram and got these results: Stick #1: Ran it for 1:15 and it had hundreds of errors. Most of them were on test #4 and some were on test #6. Stick #2: This stick i ran and it had the same results by double. I had twice as many errors or more in the same time. They were all in tests 4 and 6 as well. I dont know what that means really but those were my results. I will try the settings Voodoo said and see if they work for me. Thanks Voodoo. Thanks again for all the help.

Yeah, I made sure that i had the USB legacy support off. I ran those tests with the settings that were given to me and those were the results. I tried botting into windows yesterday night and now i cant even do that. no matter what settings i have my ram on i cant boot into windows. It is kind of making me mad, but i will be happy if i can get this fixed. I dont know if i need an RMA or not but if i get a response telling me so then i will be happy to send them back and get some PRO sticks for free! :) Just kidding... maybe. thanks again for your help mike.

• Corsair Employees
I would find it hard to believe that you can run the system at 225 MHz at Cass 2.5 but you get Memtest errors with one module at Cass 2-3-3-6 on either module. I would be happy to get them replaced but it really sounds like there is some settings that may be getting set that may cause this. You are not setting the performance mode are you?

That was voodoo that said they could run their system at 225 not me. if you can tell me what i need to do to get it working correctly that would be great. right now my computer wont even boot so i would either like settings that will work or get new ram, whichever is the best solution i will take it. Thanks.

I would like someone to respond to this if possible. My computer will not boot into widows no matter what i do now. Any settings i try result in a blue screen stop error in the boot screen for windows. Please help or give me RMA for my parts. thanks.

Endymion, I know it is tedious but please use your User Control Panel option here and set up a signature. Put all your system spex and the bios settings in it as relating to voltages, CPU, and memory. It is difficult to read back thru the thread and piece together all of that info. Did you do a clean install of XP when you did it or was it an upgrade? When you did this install, in what order did you load your drivers? Do you have access to another machine to test your RAM on? Good luck, Mike.

• Corsair Employees
endymion, It would be really hard to get 2 bad modules from us, do you have the ability to test the modules on another system? Also have you updated the MB bios, and if so , how did you do the bios flash? AFUDOS or Ez-Flash?

I have gotten my signiture set up to provide easy access to my Computer information, per specmike. Yes I have updated my BIOS to Rev 1015. I used EZ-Flash to do this. I also have a clean install of Windows XP Pro. I Installed MB drivers, then Video, then everything else. My computer is now useless as I cannot finish the boot process no matter what the settings are. I am blaming no one, I just don't know why it gets progessively worse. I have not tried booting for a few days. The only other machines I have to test on are my Apple Dual G4 (Mirror Door) and my work computers. I don't think the RAM will work in the Mac though, unless I am wrong. The only computers capable of using this RAM at my work are not to be tampered with in that fashion as it will void warrenty (Dell.., bah!). Again I thank anyone that can offer help. Thank you Specmike and RamGuy for the help you have given me so far.

OK, the [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] test will work in DOS mode so you can use it regardless of your Windows install. If I did not already say it, disable Legacy USB Support in the bios for using Memtest. As to your not being able to install Windows, tell me again in as much detail as you can, exactly what steps you are using to install Windows. Also, I assume you are installing the OS to the single Raptor. Also describe exactly what happens when the system fails to boot and what, if any, messages you get. If you have already done this, sorry, but let's start fresh from scratch. Also, did you ever boot this system with none of the periperals installed? You may need to uninstall everything COMPLETELY from the MOBO, and retry a clean install after a format using only the CPU, RAM, and Video card. Also, try this with the MOBO outside the case sitting on top of a non-conductive surface, like the box it came in. And, you may want to post up at another forum where I mod, [url]www.asusforums.org[/url] . Good luck, Mike.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest that you use AFUdos to flash back to 1.014 Bios and see if that changed the test results, and if it does that might suggest a bad bios flash. As I remember, you were supposed to use AFUDos to flash the bios with ver. 1.014 and 1.015 and you have to use the version that comes with the bios file. If you like, we can try replacing the modules. Just follow the link in my signature.

Archived