Corsair Community

HX520W Problem

Dange

I recently bought a HX520W PSU to fit in one of my machines after reading many positive reviews of the product. Unfortunately, my experience with the power supply has been rather negative thus far. I was hoping someone could help me out with the problem I am having with the power supply.

I installed the PSU into my machine, checked all the connections etc. but it appears that the PC will not power-up after pressing the power button. For some reason, it started up a couple of times intermittently but doesn't seem to want to start at all now. The computer seems to exhibit some rather odd behaviour also -- I noticed that the LEDs on any connected USB devices repeatedly blink when the PSU is switched on.

I have tried connecting a different PSU to the computer and it boots every time with that installed (Tagan TG530-U22). I hope someone can help me solve this problem. The machine's specs are below.

Foxconn NF4UK8AA Motherboard

Corsair HX520W PSU

Silverstone Lascala LC13

XFX GeForce 6200

2 x 512MB Corsair Value Select RAM

Samsung Spinpoint SATA 250GB

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the previous post. I have now received a replacement HX520W PSU. Unfortunately, this one is also causing me problems: it doesn't (always) want to switch on. :(:

When I can switch on the PC, it works perfectly. However, actually doing this can be a problem. I have plugged in a USB device with a LED on it to see if the motherboard is actually receiving power, and it appears to be as the LED switches on when the PSU is connected to the power. It simply seems that the PC's on switch doesn't want to switch on the PC (although it sometimes does work).

Any ideas as to the cause of this?

• Corsair Employees
I'm not, no. The PC is plugged into the mains directly.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your motherboard is the culprit. The board is out of spec on the +5Vsb rail and spikes 5-6A at load, which trips the Over-Current Protection in the +5Vsb (rated at 3A) on our PSU.

It SHOULD trip the OCP in any good power supply but some power supplies don't implement OCP as well as others.

A new motherboard should clear up any problem.

You aren't the bearer of bad news Power Guy. I'm actually very glad you said that as I've just been out and bought a new motherboard, forgetting to check this thread for more replies :o:

Hopefully this new board should get everything working correctly.

Archived