Corsair Community

How to change the partition of Flash Voyager GT-8GB?

Driver

Hi:

I have a Flash Voyager GT-8GB. I want to use it to boot WinXP. In order to do that, I have to create a 2GB partition with FAT16 on it.

I tried to use gparted(a Linux tool) to change the partition of my USB flash drive. First, I resized the original partition to about 5.7GB. Then I created a new partition with about 1.8GB. It seems fine with partition in Linux. But after I plugged the UFD into the Windows XP computer, it can only see it in the "disk management" in control panel. I cannot see if from explorer. In "disk management", I found the new FAT16 partition has no drive letter, so I tried to assign one to it. But then windows complained that the partition is not enabled and let me to restart. Then I restarted, but the same error showed up again.

So how to create a 2GB fat16 partition on my UFD? Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Hi:

I just wondering if there is any special settings with FV? I guess that the "disk management" in Windows XP is a superset of fdisk.exe. So I doubt whether fdisk.exe will work. In addition, I cannot delete the partition on FV in windows XP . It seems the partition of FV is somewhat frozen in windows.

I will try fdisk to see whether it works. Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from germany,

today I got my 2GB Voyager GT. I wanted to change the partition too but there is no way... Tried several DOS boot images, changed partitions with fdisk but I am not able to format the second partition.

First I tried with windows xp but there was no way so I search the web and found this thread.

Anyone have a solution? I wanted to use the second partition with truecrypt, don't like to have a file on my stick because its too easy to delete it.

Lui

• Corsair Employees

You can encrypt the File or the partition with that utility.

And if you used a Boot floppy to create a bootable partition you will need to create a second partition and format it with DOS.

Archived