Corsair Community

Striker Extreme & 2x TWIN2X2048-6400 (4x1GB)

Oberon.

I've just added another set of TWIN2X2048-6400 (5-5-5-18) to my Striker Extreme (bios 1102), so all my slots are filled with 1GB sticks. They're running at 800MHz (standard SPD settings, no voltage tweaking or overclocking whatsoever), unlinked mode. Both sets are are the same revision and are even from the same production batch.

This makes my system (running Vista Ultimate x64) generally unstable, BSOD's frequently appearing, system shutting down unexpectedly, games crashing... in other words, all hell's broken loose :)

Removing both modules (reverting to 2GB) 'fixes' this problem. Is there any way to run all 4 sticks on this board?

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup defaults and then set these settings manually:

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

Ok, I've tried those settings, but these crash my system at Windows boot (blue screening, or not seeing anything at all).

I'll ask again: are you sure about these settings? This is not the C4 version...

Unfortunately the issue persists...

With all sticks in and with those voltages I can't even get into Windows. They do work with only 2 sticks in tho.

That leaves us with the same problem, with no solution. Any other ideas?

BTW as stated in the opening post, I'm running a 64-bit OS. When I do get into Windows with all sticks in, i get to see the full 4GB's available.

Oh that was for the other guy :p

I am having similar issues with 4 sticks of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D Dominator.

If I put two sticks in either the blue or white slots then run memtest it is fine; I do not have to change any settings in the BIOS (version 1102), but as soon as I put in 4 sticks it panics (I user Linux) all over the place.

Are the voltage setting the same for the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D ?

regards

Cheers,

This looks like a common question 4 sticks TWIN2X2048-8500C5D and a Striker MB. I am not an overclocker, I just want to run my system with 4GB of memory as such do you have a list of the settings that I need to set in the BIOS to get this to work.

I have tested all the sticks with memtest and they are fine, my system has no problems running any of the two sticks, it is just when I try to run four.

Thank you for your help.

Not yet; what setting would you use to run at 800 MHz ? do I have the FSB - Memory linked etc.. NB voltage ?

Would I be better to sell these and purchase either:

TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

or

QUAD2X4096-6400C5DHX

to run 4GB ?

thanks

• Corsair Employees

Sli ready: Disabled(This setting has nothing to do with your graphics configuration)

Memory Voltage: 2.2v

1.2V HT: 1.25v

NB Core Voltage: 1.5v

SB Core Voltage: 1.55v

CPU VTT Voltage: 1.25v

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 18

Well this is a lot better but I am getting kernel panics randomly when I look at the panic Ops it looks like memory corruption at different locations. This is strange as all four sticks have run on their own and in pairs for 10 hours with memtest. If I run a memtest with the latests settings I do get lots of errors.

Are you going to release a 4GB version (2 x 2GB) of the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D Dominator? If so will it be soon as I might sell 2GB and use 2GB until it is released.

Thanks for your help.

Did you Also install the MS patch 929777 from Microsoft for more than 3 GIG in Win Vista. you can search for it at http://www.microsoft.com.

There are versions for 32 and 64 Bit so make sure you get the correct patch.

Doesn't help unfortunately... The installer mentions that 'The update does not apply to your system'. Though I'm using the correct version (x64).

Edit: Found out why, the patch was already installed on my system.

OK, today I am a lot closer.

I set all your settings:

Sli ready: Disabled(This setting has nothing to do with your graphics configuration)

Memory Voltage: 2.2v

1.2V HT: 1.25v

NB Core Voltage: 1.5v

SB Core Voltage: 1.55v

CPU VTT Voltage: 1.25v

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 18

Then I changed the AI tuning to manual, from there I set the clock mode to unlinked

FSB (QDR), MHz: 1066

MEM (DDR), MHz: 667 (it was 800)

And at last it looks stable. I have just kicked of a memtest an will let it run for a while.

I do not know much about over clocking, so if this works I have a couple of questions for you:

• Is my more expensive PC8500 (£150 per 2GB) memory is running like PC5400 (TWIN2X2048-5400C4 £59 per 2GB), so would I have noticed any difference if I would have used th PC5400?
  • Would the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX run at 800MHz and be quicker?
  • Why did you say that you would keep using the PC8500 Dominator?
  • I know that my system is not slow but as the memory is running slower can the timing be changed of the FSB etc??
  • Does changing the voltages stress the system and reduce reliability and should I, start to lower the voltages back to normal until my system starts to play up, if so which ones would you start to reset?

I am sorry for all the questions but this is new to me.

Oberon, If you could (or get a freind to) download a Linux live CD http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free, this would tell you if your system is seeing all the memory; My system will not run 4 sticks at 800MHz either, only 667, I have just asked ASUS if four DIMMs are supported at 800MHz. I will let you know as soon as they get back to me.

A quick update; after memtest ran, I changed the settings to linked 3:2 and it is now running OK at 711MHz.

and Asus have got back to me

"Dear Sir/Madam,

You can use 4 DIMM's of PC2-6400 run at 800MHz or 2*2G memory. Striker Extreme can support 8GB memory at most."

So I should be OK.

Cheers

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
NP and the Quad core CPU's seem to limit the memory frequency a bit more from what I have seen so if the system is stable where you have it I would wait for the next BIOS release and see if it improves.

Archived