Corsair Community

EVGA 680I + 8888C4 help

Warpete

I could really use some help with my 8888C4's and my EVGA 122-ck-NF68-A1 (BIOS P28) mainboard. I hear talk of silicone degradation in these modules at 2.4 volts. In any event, I am up and running with stock settings. Memory set at 4-4-4-12-2T. I have the latest video drivers for Windows XP Pro. I have read the forums over and over. Could you please suggest BIOS settings that may make this system stable? I run along just fine and then simply freeze and have to re-boot. On EVGA's Web Site they list three modules for use at above 1066MHz: All three are Corsair---the 10,000, 9136 amd 8888's. I was never able to get TWO Striker Extreme boards to work, but this EVGA is up and running. I have tried to lower the RAM voltage to 2.2V, but will not boot. Each time I have to put 1 older 8000UL module in just to get into the BIOS where I can adjust the voltage back up to 2.4V. I have SLI enabled memory set to enabled and MAX. I really don't know what else to try. My SLI seems to be working (or it says it is), but I can not play a game for more than a few seconds before I freeze. I have run Memtest 86 for about 6 passes with no reported errors (USB turned off in BIOS). I have tried several different Graphic's card drivers and 158.22 does not work for me as well as 97.94. I ran the 20 minute NTune "tuning" and completed it with no problems---then for no reason, even while reading email, I crash and burn and have to re-set everything. I'm convinced it is a memory problem and I'm not sure this board can handle 2.4V. If not, why has EVGA approved this memory and what do I do now? Anyway--enough rambling! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

WOW! What a FAST reply! I have attached the Sysinfo file from nTune which should have all the specs you need. I hope the attachment went OK. This is really strange. I was running perfectly with these settings. I attempted to run 3DMark2006 and crashed. I lasted for about 30 seconds in 3DMark--long enough to see the SLI indicator was functional. Nothing I could do would help including trying three different GPU drivers. I did have to go out for a few hours and when I returned, the system booted up and everything was perfect again. You mentioned: SLI Ready: Enable. I assume you mean the setting in the BIOS. I have it set to "enable". Later this evening I will get a chance to run Memtest 86 for each module, but I am now suspicious of a voltage regulator problem. My cards are not reaching over 78°C when I did the nTune corse tuning. My processor never gets above 37°C under stress. I have the fan installed on the NB. I don't want to completely set up the water system until I know that I won't have to tear it apart all the time. Both cards and the NB wil also be on water. Right now, only my processor is water-cooled. I will report back later on the Memtest results and read more in the forums. Thank you again for your FAST reply!

sysinfo.txt

To answer your question, NO, I did not manually set the CPC/Command to 2T. It was set automatically under the "optimal" settings. I tried 4-4-4-12-1T and it did not work. OK, I ran Memtest86.org V. 1.70 on each module separately--which i didn't think i could do. I ran three passes each with no errors on either stick. The reason I didn't think i could do it is because when I have to clear the CMOS, I need to put one 8000UL stick in the first slot (closest to the processor) in order to get to the BIOS. I can then set the voltage to 2.4V, re-boot and then place just one of my two 8888C4 sticks in the first slot--and the system will boot. Two sticks won't work. If I try the second stick (same stick every time) in the first slot, I get one long continuous beep. I have tried this many times with the same result. The one stick will not allow me to post no matter what. Tonight, for the first time---it did, which allowed me to test it. After everything was completed, I booted up with both sticks (and SLI memory enabled) to find my screen was completely corrupted. I booted a second time and the same thing---black and white blocks all over the screen and unable to boot into windows. Just for the heck of it I tried a third time and everything was perfect--which is why I can write this reply! I am still wondering about faulty voltage regulators, but I am definately no expert. Everything runs fine and then something suddenly takes a wrong turn. Again, thank you for your help. If you would like me to run the tests longer, please let me know.

Archived