Corsair Community

Bad Desktop and Server Memory

Hi,

I have yet another two bad sticks of corsair RAM. I am really thinking about not buying Corsair anymore, I have replaced 5 sets of DDRII in the past 4 months, now I have a bad DDR I 400 Mhz stick and also a bad server module... :(

Desktop Memory

Probably matched pair since I have two sticks, but I cannot tell from the model or serial number. With the bad module by itself, PC will not boot. With the good module PC boots and works correctly (done memtest for hours and no errors). If I put the two modules, PC will boot, but then memtest spills tons of errors. So one module is definitively defective:

CMX1024-3200C2 XMS3202v2.1

0611134-2

XMS300 1024MB 400Mhz CL2

Both modules have the same numbers shown above.

Server Memory

Server crash and would not reboot, read somewhere online that the error may be memory related so I took the ram from another server and now the server is booting up just fine. Tested the RAM and one stick spits losts of errors in memtest.

CM72SD1024RLP-3200/S

PC3200R-3330-Z1

0612095-0 -719221

Please tell me if I need to return both DDR 400 modules to get a matched pair or only the defective one.

Do I need to create two separate RMAs or can I create only one for both, the desktop and server memory?

Thanks,

Diego

• Corsair Employees
Its best to get the modules replaced as a set on any system, and if you are having that many failures that would suggest some other problem maybe with your system. Are these modules all from the same few systems or do you have a large number of systems? And just get a RMA for each part# and then send them both in the same package.

I will request the two RMAs and ship them in one box.

I have several systems but all the DDR II defective modules came from the same purchase (bought 14 sets of 2x1GB XMS DDR2 PC6400 CL4 sticks from zipzoomfly.com) and have already replaced 5 of those (maybe a hit a bad batch). Three were directly replaced by zipzomfly as they were DOA (one stick had errors on each package) and the other two through Corsair. All modules are installed in seven Shuttle XPC systems to get a total of 4GB of ram per system.

What do you have the memory voltage and timings set to on those systems?

The RAM is installed in the Shuttle XPC SD37P Version 2.

The RAM voltage is set to 2.1 Volts (manually in the BIOS)

The timings are set by default by the computer and they are at 5-5-5-15 for 4 sticks of RAM total. The memory is running at 667Mhz (underclocked) as the computer will not POST if it is set to 800Mhz.

Diego

In each case all modules were tested one at a time and at least one module had errors in each of the 5 pairs I returned and that is why they were sent back.

I had another case in which 4 modules were showing errors when they were all together, but not in pairs, so in that case I took one set to another computer, ran memtest and it worked fine. So the solution was to change one set of modules between two PCs and they both worked fine.

The computers are running with Quad Core Intel QX6700 CPUs and the BIOS reports:

Main Processor: Intel® 2.66GHz(266x10.0, 4CPUs)

Memory Testing: 4194304K OK

CPU Brand Name: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU @2.66GHz

EMT64 CPU. EIST CPU Supported.

Memory Frequency for DDR2 667 (Dual Channel Mode Enabled)

No over-clocking or changing of settings have beend done for either CPU or Memory speed in the Bios, except for setting the voltage to 2.1Volts. I already mentioned that if I set the memory speed to 800 Mhz in the BIOS, the PC won't boot, so I have to run it at 667Mhz.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules DDR667 or DDR533 would be suggested with most Intel platform MB's that may be normal, what is the make and model of MB and I would try and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and see if that makes a difference, in addition you need to make sure that you are setting the proper settings for the specific MB or chipset you are using, if it is an Intel chipset you need to set the Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15.

Since I replaced all the sticks of RAM that had errors, I have not had any more problems. The computers have been stable at 667Mhz and 2.1Volts.

The motherboard is whatever Shuttle puts in the XPC SD37P2 V2 barebones computers. Their downloads section, including manual is located at:

http://hq1.shuttle.com/services_download03.jsp?PCI=19&PI=639

I have just found out that in May 16 2007, they released a new BIOS that specifically mentions: 2.Fixed DDR2 800MHz issue.

So after installing the BIOS update I can now run the 4 sticks of ram at 800Mhz and the systems will post and boot correctly with Vista 64. I am running memtest for a few hours to make sure the system is stable. Memtest is reporting the memory as follows:

RAM: 399Mhz (DDR798) / CAS : 5-5-5-15 / Dual Channel (Interleaved).

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived