Corsair Community

evga 680i- memory problem

I recenlty bought an other 2 gigs of Twin2x208-8500c5d for my evga 680i sli mobo. It supports memory up to 1200mhz ddr2. It ran just the 2 gigs just fine, when i added the 2nd two i started getting memory errors, i have tired adusting the timings and the volagtes but nothing seems to make the gigs work together. I tired testsing each modual invidually and in 2 gig pairs and get no erros with memtest86, but when i use all 4 i get errors.

I have used the 5-5-5-18 2t ddr2 800mhz 1.8v timings, but it wont boot on with 4 gigs unless i up the voltage to 2.2v, due to a 1D error code. But i get errors in memtest at these settins.

When i use the reccomended 5-5-5-15 2t 2.2v ddr2 1066mhz setting, in both sli ready mode and regular, same memory errors occur.

Does the evga 680i sli mobo 122-CK-NF68-AR, bored have issues with 4 gigs of ram, or does anyone know what timings need to be used???

Try setting the RAM to 667MHz using all 4 gigs, if I'm not mistaken you wont get any errors.

The problem is your memory controller, it can't handle 4 gigs of RAM at anything higher then 667MHz, it starts getting overloaded.

Your choices are either:

-Use 2 gigs at stock speed (or more if overclocked)

-Use 4 gigs at 667MHz

-You can also try using 3 gigs, that should let you run at stock speed (or more if overclocked) but not sure how that would affect performance if you were using dual channel.

-Me

• Corsair Employees

You can try these settings at DDR800 and you should have some margin to over clock your CPU a bit more.

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.2v

NB Core Voltage: 1.4v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

I have tried what you have recommended, but the problem is when it get around test 8 i start to get memory errors. I think the problem is heat related, due to after it fails, i turned my system off and removed the extra 2 gig sticks from my system they are burning hot. How can i tell if its the timings, my hardware, or is it just the memory over heating??

Archived