Corsair Community

Please help - new RAM won't work

AZKami

I purchased the VS1GSDS533D2 for my Toshiba Satellite (M105-S3031) and it won't work after install. I checked the compatibility (using the link suggested on this forum), and this RAM is supposed to be compatible. I even updated the BIOS, but still no luck. When I start the computer after installing, I get the following series of beeps: one, (pause), three (pause), three (pause), one.

In a previous attempt at upgrading the RAM in this laptop, I bought (from a local office-type store) a different type of RAM that also didn't work. Except I didn't get the beeps, just had nothing happen (no boot-up though). The guy at the store suggested that since my existing RAM card is 4200(in a slot where I can't access it - only have access to the open slot), I should make sure the second is also 4200 (the one I had originally purchased was 5300, but supposed to be backwards compatible.

This new RAM is 4200, and should be compatible, but I just get the beeps. This new one is 1GB, while the one in the computer is 512, but I didn't think that would matter.

Any ideas on why it won't work, and what I can do about it?

Thank you.

• Corsair Employees
Those modules should work for that system, please try and remove the module that came in your system and then turn it on with no memory installed and you should get the no memory beeps then turn it off and install one module from us. The turn it on and see if the system will post.

Just perused the manual for your Toshiba. It uses the standard stacked sodimm ram slots, so both sodims are removable and/or installable. The manual was a little light on it's description though. There's a bit of an art to installing them that they didn't bother to mention clearly. The hinge joint has a nasty habit of squirting a module out just a bit as the locking clips engage, making one think it's all the way seated when it's actually not. The trick is to apply steady pressure on the module into the hinge joint with the very tips of the fingers as you push down. If you haven't done a few replacements, it can take two or more attempts to get the sodim to seat right. Good luck.

Just a likely possibility, but heck even though I've done quite a few, it still took me two shots to get both upgrade replacement sodimms, Corsairs of course, seated right in my current notebook. Those hinge joint RAM slots aren't exactly what you'd call "user friendly."

Archived