Corsair Community

Faulty Module & nvlddkmk Errors - CM2X1024-8500C5D

Please start your own thread and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and set the settings for your modules Memory Voltage set to 2.2 Volts and SLI Ready Memory set to CPU 0% and command Rate set to 2T.

System was fine for the first couple of weeks with Vista when all of a sudden from the 10Jun08 at about 03:30 in the morning, according to the event log, nvlddkmk errors started to occur, especially when playing back recordings from HDTV when the nvlddkmk errors would get even worse.

Also, the computer would have problems booting and the only way to get it to reboot would be to leave it off for a while.

I tried everything, including restoring back to a known good time on 08Jun07 but no joy. Being a qualified electronics engineer, and having experience with hardware problems way back to the very first Cisco AGS router ever installed in Australia back in the early 1990's, (I discovered the very first hardware fault in an AGS router in the presence of Cisco engineers who failed to find a problem on their own router after two days of looking), I started looking at hardware. (It was hardly an exercise is rocket science because of the occasional failure to boot). I really only mention this to get across the fact that I am not posting here lightly, have thought about it, and have come to the correct conclusion about this issue from a vast amount of expereince.

With the first module which the system is running on now it is 100% stable. I can play back HDTV video files to my heart's content, the system is smooth, and has not been rebooted for two days now. Nirvarna again, almost.

With the second module, the PC won't boot at all and stops on a C1 post error. Methinks the module is very faulty and pointless to test it with memtest. ;)

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts (+.4 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran memtest on the second module. I do get the occasional C1 post error and I do get the ocassional memtest error, but when I reboot, and get a sucessful reboot I can rum memtest for a couple of days without an error.

I found that in the BIOS of my evga SLI mobo if I choose Sync at 1:1 in the memory settings the 2GB sticks get recognised as running at 533 but the system is 100% stable, gets no nvlddmkm errors, and Vista has now been running for 4 days without a reboot or any software errors of any kind.

After paying heaps for fast memory it would be so nice to be able to use it. :[pouts:

Please try what I suggested and test the modules one at a time, and with this MB just load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.2 Volts and then set the Command Rate to 2T and set SLI Ready Memory to CPU 0% and test them one up with http://www.memtest.org.

I did try it. That goes without question that your advice was tried. If my mempory serves me correctly it was stock standard default config by default anyway. I still got nvlddmkm errors.

I was posting, to help others, what I actually did to totally reslove these annoying errors. It is 05:56am here, and yet another night has been acheived without any nvlddmkm errors.

I am sorry but they are not default and would need to be set and you need to use http://www.memtest.org to test the system.
Oh for Pete's sake! Rest assured that I did what you advised, ok? I stated, "if my memory serves me correctly they were the default settings". I was surmising, and trying to think back as it was about 10 days ago and many things have been done, and have been changed, and have been tweaked, to get to were I am now, and that is a 100% stable system with the memory running at 533 because running the memory at rated specs produces continuous nvlddmkm errors.

If my memory serves me correctly the advice and setting which you gave me were already set as default on the motherboard, and if my memory serves me correctly I didn't have to change anything, or much, to use, to implement your advised settings. I know that I did use your settings as I knew that I had to do this to get an RMA, and that if I didn't use your settings and take your advice, and sent the memory back with no fault that, a/ it would cost me a lot of time and b/ it would cost me money.

I was thinking about purchasing some replacement memory, if fact I ordered it at Tiger but didn't complete the bank transfer, as I was rolling around in clover finally having a stable usable system, albeit with $US400 533Mhz memory.

Please take the point of my posting which was "what I did to achieve the end and annihilation of nvlddmkm errors and stop worrying about whether your advice was taken or not. It was.

• Corsair Employees

Point taken, but what you have said you have done is not what I suggested.

It's your choice I have no problem replacing the memory for you but I would suggest trying the steps one more time to be sure.

If you just want to get them tested and or returned/replaced then by all means!

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Point taken, but what you have said you have done is not what I suggested.

It's your choice I have no problem replacing the memory for you but I would suggest trying the steps one more time to be sure.

If you just want to get them tested and or returned/replaced then by all means!

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Given that your advice is both valued and to be taken seriously, it is my opinion that it should be taken for granted that it is always followed by those you give it to.

I am more than happy to try it a second time and will do this over the weekend. I will let you know!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

You guys are incredible. I posted the RAM back from Australia, using everyday airmail on the 29Nov07, and you had the replacement back with UPS on the 5th. That's a 6 day (including a weekend), turnaround from Sydney, Australia. Stunning! Well done!

But you guys need to change your courier company, UPS. The package arrived in Sydney on the 8Dec07, which is only 3 days from the USA, (which is magic for a trip across the Pacific, and which includes Customs clearance), but now UPS are going to hold the package up for delivery for 5 days and they won't deliver it until the 13Dec07 as it isn't "express" but "expedited".

Dictionary.com gives the following definition of "expedited":-

1. to speed up the progress of; hasten: to expedite shipments.

Compared to the great service of the Australian and US Post Offices, what a joke!!!! 5 days to get the package to the USA, including the work you guys had to do; but 9 days for UPS to deliver it back to me.

Wonderful service from Corsair!!! But change courier companies as UPS are shafting you. I hate companies that play with words, i.e. expedited vs express

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but that was Australian Customs causing the delay the way I understand it. But you can call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 and dial "0" 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Time Monday through Friday excluding Holidays

I am sorry but that was Australian Customs causing the delay the way I understand it. But you can call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 and dial "0" 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific Time Monday through Friday excluding Holidays

Nope! It's all UPS's doing; undermining what was a brilliant effort of your part.

Excerpt from the Tracking page for the package is below. As you can see, it arrived and was cleared on 08Dec07, but delivery has been put off until Thursday 13Dec07. Why I asked UPS Customer Service today? I was told, "sorry but "expedited" packages are unpacked and delivered AFTER "express" ones". 5 days they are going to hold it here in Sydney. 5 days! That is just plain wrong, given how long it took the Post Office to get it to you from Australia, and how much extra UPS charge.

According to dictionary.com "expedited" means:-

1. to speed up the progress of; hasten: to expedite shipments.

and "express" means, among other meaning:-

16. a system or method of sending freight, parcels, money, etc., that is faster and safer, but more expensive, than ordinary freight service:

It's a dishonest misuse of the English language by UPS. The sort of corporate misbehaviour we are forced to put up with these days as consumers so that the shareholder gets the benefit of our being screwed with. In my view "expedited" and "express" mean the same thing. To UPS Marketing, the guys with the ear rings, the ponytails and the Porches, it means "gobbledygook", and "how to mislead the consumer".

Excerpts From The Tracking Page:-

Type: Package

Rescheduled Delivery: 13/12/2007

Shipped To: PADSTOW, AU

SYDNEY, AU

08/12/2007 22:31 IMPORT SCAN

08/12/2007 16:24 ARRIVAL SCAN

08/12/2007 13:52 PACKAGE DATA PROCESSED BY BROKERAGE. WAITING FOR CLEARANCE / RELEASED BY CLEARING AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT FOR DELIVERY

08/12/2007 11:04 PACKAGE DATA PROCESSED BY BROKERAGE. WAITING FOR CLEARANCE

08/12/2007 11:04 REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY / SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY

08/12/2007 11:04 REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY / RELEASED BY CLR AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT [/font]

~~~~ CUT ~~~~~~~

SUNNYVALE, CA, US

05/12/2007 17:24 COLLECTION SCAN

US

05/12/2007 21:02 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

As I say, the package was posted, using ordinary everyday airmail, on 29Nov07 from Sydney, Australia to be dispatched by you 6 days later on 05Dec07.

• 6 months later...
Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Unfortunately one of the replaced modules has many errors, 70 in 11 passes in Memtest. Vista was becomming more and more unstable and after first concentrating on what updated drivers and software I had installed the focus shifted on to the memory. I have followed the same instructions from the start of this thread, checking voltage etc, and I have applied for an RMA.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry about that and please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext “0” or send them an email (rmaservice@corsairmemory.com) with your RMA# and ask them to help you with this

Archived