Corsair Community

6400C4 forced to over volt

MeMark

After almost a year I have finally been able to constantly run 2 or 4 gigs of RAM in a ASUS Crosshair without receiving an occasional DET RAM error on reboot. This has required me to over volt the RAM to 2.3 volts when running 4 gigs or 2.2 volts when running 2 gigs.

Previous to finding the resolution, I RMA'ed the board 3 times, each time getting a new revision, RMA'ed the RAM twice, installed all BIO's updates as they we're released and manually set the timings in the BIO's, including volage to 2.1

My question is why, when the recommended voltage is 2.1. I do not overclock. Is this going to shorten the life of the RAM? Is this a motherboard issue? I do have to say after many builds, that this is the touchiest board I have ever dealt with and there are many overall complaints from other MB owners.

Thanks!

Let me confirm what you are saying because I am confused.

So even though these are rated at 800mhz RAM, and I purchased 2 matched sets they are rated at 800mhz, I have to run them at 667 because I am using 4 gigs? Where did I miss this information and documentation that says if running 4 gigs I have to lower the mhz?

And why do I have to set the voltage to 2.2 to run 2 gigs or am I to run 2 gigs at 667 as well.

And further if I want 4 gigs at 800mhz does this mean I have to purchase 1066RAM?

• Corsair Employees
So even though these are rated at 800mhz RAM, and I purchased 2 matched sets they are rated at 800mhz, I have to run them at 667 because I am using 4 gigs? Where did I miss this information and documentation that says if running 4 gigs I have to lower the mhz?

And further if I want 4 gigs at 800mhz does this mean I have to purchase 1066RAM?

A: This is a limitation of the memory controller of the CPU, I am sorry but you would need to ask the MB maker or AMD as its a known limitation.

And even if you run 1066 Memory you would be limited to 667 with that CPU and MB.

And why do I have to set the voltage to 2.2 to run 2 gigs or am I to run 2 gigs at 667 as well.

A: That would suggest a power problem, but to be sure its not a failing module I would test the modules one at a time at the tested setting with http://www.memtest.org and please remember to Disable legacy USB when running that program. And please load setup defaults when you make hardware changes and re-set the settings.

OK, I do appreciate the answers and you have been the most helpful of anyone! So I have 3 more for you, would upgrading the processor itself make a difference (say a 5200, 5600, 6000)? Or is this a limitation of the AM2 platform? Can you point me towards a website or otherwise on this limitation?

Thanks for all your help!

• Corsair Employees
All I can tell you is that with most things that are not positive Marketing people don't like to mention it. Intel and AMD both do about that. The newer CPU's seem to be better yes but I don't have any info for what CPU would run with a full load of modules. You might talk to AMD and see what they say!

Archived