Corsair Community

Bad Twin XMS8505v1.3 (CM2x1024-8500C5)

About a month ago my pc stop displaying Video I switched DVI ports, worked thought nothing of it. Yesterday I powered down the machine and it decided not to come back up. No video no matter what, no beeps. I took the video card up to work and tested it in my lab, worked. So I assumed it was a bad mother board (GA-965P-DS3). I used this as an excuse to upgrade. And that I did with with the exception of two components, My ram Twin XMS8505v1.3 (CM2x1024-8500C5) (2gigs) and my Duo Core 6700. I now have a EVGA 680i SLI, 850watt supply and two big 8800 GTX. After several hours of taking things apart and putting them together my MB is displaying a A0 na Error code. That usually means memory and in fact I get that message with or with out my memory in the machine. I reset the cmos and tried all the slots same result. Took the memory up to work, plugged it in to a working machine and I am getting the beeps. I'm at about 95% sure the memory has gone south only had it since October. Is this enough to get an RMA? There are a few more tests I could run like trying generic mem in my rig but if this memory is bad I'd like to get it replaced asap as this i my main rig.

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.2 volts (+.4 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ram Guy,

I verified now on three mother boards, one of my sticks is bad.

My original mother board, GigaByte GA-965P-DS3. One stick works the other give me the beeps of doom. My EVGA 122-ck-nf68-a1 does the same, the bad stick give me beeps the other good one works fine. I also did this test at work on another gigabyte board I do not have the model number sorry. But yes this one stick does not work in any motherboard including the mother board it worked in for 8 months. How do I proceed with an RMA?

Regards,

Robert

Archived