Corsair Community

Asus P5WDG2-WS PRO and Dominator PC8500 Issues

B33M3RBOY

I recently decided it was time to just max out my ram speed after been running it at the following: 963mhz@4-4-4-10. I'm happy with this, getting a 4:5 ratio, but I recently purchased a 8800GTX and decided it was time for ram speed instead of timings.

I set the timings to 5-5-5-15 on 2.2v and I cannot even post at 1066mhz. I run my E6600 at 3.46ghz(385) on a Asus P5WDG2-WS Pro i975x. PCI-E Frequency is at 120mhz.

Previously I had the 1GB XMS2-8500 pack that I managed to run on this same setup at 1150mhz@5-5-5-15 on 2.3v. I cannot even get the dominators to post at that speed.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? or do I got bad ram?

K I decided to run memtest86+ 1.70 and I am having problems. Test isn't done but so far I have had 500+ errors on the same memory range. I still have the FSB overclocked at 385 and the ram clocked at 4-4-4-10. After the test is done, I will try to post pics of the results and redo the test at stock FSB.

Is this a possible bad stick of ram? If it was a memory timing problem, shouldn't the errors be spread out on the memory range?

And does raising the PCI-E frequency have any effect on the ram? (I know it effects the GPU)

Restarting my computer and getting the BSOD so often has corrupted by primary drive. c:\windows\system32\config\system got corrupted. Restored windows, backed up essential files onto my SCSI raid array, and now I will be reinstalling windows later tonight. Whenver I fool around in the bios from now on, I'm disconnecting my drives first.

K the computer will only run memtest when the ram is at 1066 or lower. Half the time memtest loaded and just froze.

When it boots into windows at that speed, it takes 20seconds-5minutes for the computer to suddenly restart.

Images of the memtest in stock 266FSB and OC 385FSB are in the gallery below.

Any help on what my problem is, even a hunch, would be appreciated.

GALLERY OF MEMTEST

I understand. I had a issue with the board and PCI-X hostraid adapter when I overvolted the chipset. Board would only pass BSOD on that ram speed with chipset at max voltage.

Will this ram run at 1066mhz+ if I purchased the P5NT-WS? It is based on a hybrid of the nvidia 650/570. I need a 133mhz PCI-X slot for 15k scsi raid.

"Also I would suggest testing any over clock setting with http://www.memtest.org or that might happen."

What exactly might happen? Are you saying I should sync the ram 1:1 instead of 4:5?

• Corsair Employees
"Also I would suggest testing any over clock setting with http://www.memtest.org or that might happen."

What exactly might happen? Are you saying I should sync the ram 1:1 instead of 4:5?

NO I am saying you should test any over clock setting with http://www.memtest.org to make sure the system is stable or you might corrupt your HDD.

Apparently that warning came a couple days too late :sigh!: Oh well, it corrupted my SATA HDD instead of the SCSI array at least.

Anyway I tested the ram in single channel, dual channel, switched the slots, and I believe I got a bad stick of ram. They failed every test I put the ram through, from memtest to sandra. I put my 1GB XMS2-8500 kit back in and it passed memtest 5 times (and still going....) at 4-4-4-12@1000mhz@2.2v. I tried this same timing on the dominators and it fails everytime. The only good thing I've learned so far is that it isn't my motherboard.

I even took the overclock off and tested the ram and it still produced memtest errors at every frequency from 800mhz to 1066mhz.

Should I RMA this ramkit?

Would this ram run and rated speeds and be capable of overclocking better with a Asus P5NT-WS motherboard?. It is a hybrid workstation board built off the nvidia chipsets 650/590:confused: for SLI. I have been considering upgrading the board now or instead, just wait for a .45nm, PCI-X, DDR3 motherboard to be released.

Archived