Corsair Community

Just Checkin 2B Safe

doe

I have an ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard with 1GB of memory consisting of two Corsair memory modules CMX512-3200C2PT.

I would like to add another 2GB of memory (total of 3GB) and was looking at the Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT module.

I assume this mix of memory is a valid as long as I pair each memory module in it’s appropriate channel slot?

Verification Appreciated

Doe

• Corsair Employee

I would not suggest mixing memory with any MB, but you are welcome to try it, but if you do you may be limited to DDR333 or DDR266 with this MB.

It would be best for performance to just replace what you have with One set of Twinx2048-3200C2 for best performance.

The mobo was part of a system built by the now out of business Monarch Computer. The original system came with a pair of Corsair CMX256A-3200C2PT RAM modules for a total of 512MB of RAM. I then added a pair of Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT RAM modules giving my system a total of 1.5MB of RAM.

Following the vendors choice of RAM selection I thought that the best solution to increase my RAM size was to replace with products in the same RAM family. I indented to replace the CMX256A modules with the TWINX2048-3200C2PT memory modules.

The specifications for the mobo list: Dual channel memory architecture - 4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 4GB PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory.

My assumption was that the differentiator between the CMX and TWINX was the TWINX provided for matched memory pair and that all other characteristics (speed-size-latency-package) were no different then that of the CMX brand of memory.

I therefore assumed that as long as I followed the correct Dual –channel memory module slot placement, as I had done with my original CMX256A & CMX512 memory modules, their wouldn’t be an issue.

Based on your above response were my initial assumptions based on the original vendors RAM selection incorrect.. ??

If so is the “ mixing” issue related to the TWINX and CMX brands or is it rooted in the incorrect selection of RAM for this particular mobo from the start?

Would adding two CMX1024-3200C2PT be a better solution?

Guidance Much Appreciated

Doe

Appreciate the response, but I do not understand the size / IC issue?

Would you mind elaborating on it?

Mobo manual states that you have to install only identical (same type & size) DDR DIMM pairs for each channel & modules must have same CAS latency

I thought as long as I populated each RAM Socket with the appropriate RAM size, DIMM A1 & B1 (blue) w/ TWINx modules and DIMM A2 & B2 w/ 512 CMX modules.

Am I relegated to populating each slot with the same RAM size?

So then for stability would it be best to fill all slots with the same CMX512-3200C2PT RAM modules?

......IC? .....are you refering to the die or waffer of each module? That each RAM module must come from the same die or waffer in order to not have stability issues?

As I stated in previous posting...

The ASUS manual states that you have to install only identical (same type & size) DDR DIMM pairs for each channel & modules must have same CAS latency.

Is this warning in relation to the mixing of RAM module IC's or am I missing somthing?

If one were not to mix RAM modules because of IC' would that mean that the only way to increse the RAM on ones motherboard would be to remove all existing modules and replace with " matching " sets ie... religated to only buying TWINx brand/style of RAM modules?

Archived