Corsair Community

Mode Sense 5Ah Page Code 05h not supported

Julia Courtney

I have the 8GB Corsair Flash Voyager which I am booting on HP Proliant Sever Systems. Total Capacity is less than 8GB and sometimes only 512MB. HP Bios Group uses Mode Sense 5Ah Code Page 05h Flexible Disk Page to calculate the Disk Geometry based on the C/H/S values stored in bytes 4, 5 8 and 9.

When I issue Mode Sense 5Ah Page Code 05h with a scsi command utility to the Corsair Key the Page Code 05h comments field says this page is "obsolete"

Why did Corsair "obsolete" Page Code 05h? It is supported in the spec.

Will this be fixed? If not, my keys are incompatible with HP Proliant Servers.

Thanks,

Julia

• Corsair Employees

Julia

We do not "obsolete" any code or firmware.

More than likely this is because the Bios or firmware was not made to boot from or to a USB Flash drive and can only do translations for a hard disk or Floppy drive.

Are you trying to make the USB Drive boot able in this system?

If you are you need to contact the system maker and ask them if they had this option available, I don't believe that was available in the Bios kernel until Award/Phoenix 6.x.x. Version. But you should ask the maker of the system to be sure. If it is supposed to support Booting from a flash drive it will list it as a USB HDD and you can select it from the Boot menu.

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I am an HP Empoyee and I am working directly with the Proliant Server BIOS team at HP. HP Server and Desktop BIOS supports booting from USB. HP BIOS issues a Mode Sense 5Ah command to Page Code 05h to compute Disk Geometry using Cylinder / Heads / Sectors values stored in bytes 4,5,8 and 9 on that Page Code. I use a Linux SCSI Command Utility to issue a "Mode Sense 5Ah to Page Code 05h" command to the Corsair Voyager 8GB USB-key and the values in bytes 4, 5, 8 and 9 do not contain valid values for C/H/S. Some keys have 00h in those bytes.

The comments field for Page Code 05h on the Corsair Key says that "Page Code 05h is obsolete". The key is telling me that the Page Code is obsolete.

Is this intentional? Current USB spec supports Page Code 05h. We're trying to understand why this Page Code is not supported by Corsair.

Thanks,

Julia Courtney-Bakke

Hardware Engineer

Industry Standard Servers

Hewlett-Packard Corporation

• Corsair Employees

Julia

Please call and ask for me 800-205-7657 and I will help you get the right person.

I don't write Bios code so I don't know the commands, but I have asked; there is a standard command like this you send a SCSI “readCAP” command (0x28h) to read the drive’s capacity and numbers of LBAs.

Archived