Corsair Community

HX620 w/Radeon 9800 - system won't boot

msgohan

I just got a HX620 today to replace my Ultra X-Connect that started making high-pitched squealing sounds. Trouble is it won't boot when the floppy power cable is connected to my video card, which is necessary. The PSU, CPU, and video card fan sometimes spin for about a second when I try to power on but not always. I get no beep and nothing onscreen. I've unplugged power to everything except the 20-pin, 4-pin 12V, and video card. If I unplug the floppy connector from the video card, it boots fine but sounds an alarm and displays an error onscreen telling me to plug in the video power. If I unseat the video card I of course get a blank screen, but it seems to boot alright otherwise except for beeping at me. I actually tried this before unplugging the HD power, and they seemed to spin up.

I was hesitant to try the old PSU due to its noises but I did and it boots fine with the same 3 wires hooked up (until it complains about the lack of system disk). I even attempted powering different devices with each PSU, but the system won't boot with ATX and "P4" coming from different PSUs, and neither does it seem that either one can provide power to the floppy connector when not hooked up to the mobo (I get the alarm and error). But I did get the X-Connect to power a case fan while not connected to anything else...

I've noticed that the Corsair ATX connector doesn't have the 3rd wire from the right on the top row, could this be causing a problem with my mobo? The X-Connect's cable appears to have it.

If that's not it then I'm at a loss...

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo Platinum (Nforce3 250gb)

Processor: AMD Athlon64 3200+

RAM: 2x512MB cheap Samsung

Video card: ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9800 Pro

Sound card: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

5 ATA HDs: Western Digital/Maxtor/Seagate 80-300GB

Optical: Samsung DVD burner

Also a Promise Ultra-133 controller card

• Corsair Employees
Please test the Floppy drive power connected to another power header like the CD-ROM and see if it will power on also check the connection on the Floppy and make sure its not one pin off. If that all checks out the please contact pur customer service and as for a new floppy cable adapter. 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0"

Wow fast reply! I'm sorry but I don't follow, how would I connect floppy power to a CD drive? You mean remove the floppy adapter and test the 4-pin it's connected to? EDIT: I've plugged it into a 4-pin that I verified is working, still won't boot.

As for "checking the connection on the floppy", as I said this is for a video card that requires a floppy connection and not an actual floppy drive.

I tested the floppy adapter itself by plugging it into one of the 4-pins on my old PSU and it booted fine.

• Corsair Employees

The Floppy connector is a short adapter cable that connects to a standard 4 Pin Molex connected like that you connect to the HDD or CD-Rom, I am suggesting checking this cable both where it connects to the Floppy drive and where you connect it on the dongle cable from the PSU.

But I am also suggesting testing this with a floppy/Zip drive to make sure its working properly. You can call our customer service and ask them if they can send you a new cable for the floppy if you like as well. 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0".

Okay, I tried using the HX620 with my old crappy 32MB graphics card (which of course doesn't require any power beyond AGP) and it boots up and works fine, in fact I'm on the PC with it right now.

Hooking up a floppy drive worked, after a bit of an ordeal with finding the option in the BIOS to turn on the floppy controller. Still the same no-boot scenario using the same exact connection to plug into my 9800. :(

This seems to defy logic and reason...

• Corsair Employees

How can that be the case if the PSU and Video Card work in another MB? If I understand what you posted?

but I also now tested it in my old computer and it boots up and runs without issue.

I tried the video card in my old computer using its stock PSU. Unhooking everything in this computer and the other one and hooking it all back up again would be quite a pain to test the PSU + vid card with another mobo. :sigh!:

EDIT: Anyway, even if I did all that what would it prove? If the HX620 does work with the 9800 with another mobo (i.e. same PSU+same vid+diff MB), then it's somehow the combo of the PSU+vid+MB that causes it to not work (since diff PSU+same vid+same MB works, and same PSU+diff vid+same MB works). If the HX620 doesn't work with the 9800 with another mobo, then it's somehow the combo of the PSU+vid alone that fails. Either outcome doesn't seem to help me fix it without replacing the vid card.

• Corsair Employees

I have no problem replacing the PSU but I would suggest trying the floppy cable first before you do that, you can call our customer service and ask them to send you one 888-222-4346 or we can replace the whole unit if you prefer.

But I have that PSU and that Video card running in one of my systems at home with no problems at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived