Corsair Community

Weird problem 2* Twin2x6400 2GB Kit on IntelD975XBX2

Hi!

I've got a strange problem with my memory. Two months ago I upgraded my development workstation with above mentioned motherboard and one Twin2x6400 2GB Kit (Kit A). My Vista64 installation worked flawlessly for about a month. It started giving BSOD when I ran chkdsk. So I checked the RAM and one module was reported faulty so I sent it back to the store I purchased it from. Since I could not wait for the RMA because of my job I decided to buy the same kit (Kit B)again somewhere else. I ran Memtest86+ and it reported the new kit B to be OK. Today I got the faulty kit A replaced and just added it. I started testing the now 4 modules and ERROR! I tested seperately and found out the old ones (Kit B) that worked are now faulty. Memtest reports an error at a single address exactly at 1MB. The memory test integrated in vista reports none and the system ran fine. I would not even have noticed that if I had not started memtest to check the kit I got RMA'd.

What is going on with my system??? Could it be a MB/BIOS (Version 2747)thing or something with the CPU (E6600)? The system is not OC'd and mem timings are 5-5-5-18 1.84V set by the BIOS SPD readings automatically.

I seriously need my machine for freelance software development and cannot RMA all the time or rebuy the parts. Please help me out I am desperate with the situation.

BTW Just found out that the freshly RMA'd Kit A fails at the exact same address 1MB with the exact same error pattern.

So I tested each module seperately and got all perfectly stable at 800MHz and 5-5-5-12 timings using 2.08V. I have now conducted several testrounds with memtest using ALL 4 modules at once, which to this point completed 4 passes in 4.5 hours without any error.

My last remaining question is whether 2.08V is acceptable or to high. I supposed that this would be OK since several people on this board reported running this memory at even 2.1V.

Edit: Well I do not get it! I just placed the MB in the case again. Installed the 8800GTS (used Radeon9000 for testing before) attached my drives and now I get a memtest error at 1MB again. Just a single address in one single Test (No 3). Decreased frequency to 667 but still this single address fails. Does not look like a memory problem anymore or what do you think?

I fixed the problem. The remaining error occured due to the dreaded Legacy USB option that I accidentially enabled when loading BIOS defaults before updating the BIOS. Now both Kits run at 800MHz 2.08V 5-5-5-18 in memtest for several hours without an error.

Thanks for the support!

Archived