Corsair Community

P4C800 and 3200 XMS crashes

deadmeat2k

I have a P4C800 (standard model) with 2x256 MB Corsair TwinX 3200 XMS modules. Lately I've been experiencing a lot of crashes in both windows and in games. The crashes pop up at random, sometimes after 3 minutes sometimes after 30. Last time my XP crashed I sent the error report and received the following feedback: Thank you for submitting an error report. The Online Crash Analysis tool has processed and analyzed this report. "Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows program code was corrupted. Microsoft is unable to determine if this corruption was caused by a hardware or software issue. The nature of the corruption suggests that a hardware issue is more likely. (...) ". I also get some random bluescreen with error messages pointing out access violations + win32k.sys as the problem. When I play C&C generals the game crashes every 5-15 minutes. Half of the crashes result in a bluescreen with no text, sound going into a loop. The character of the bluescreen worries me indicating a pretty serious problem. I've tried to reinstall XP from scratch, updated drivers, bios etc. with no effect. This suggests that the problem is hardware related. Combined with the error message from windows I was suspecting the memory as the problem. I tested the two modules one at a time in my motherboard, working with 256 MB. There was no apparent difference in system stability - crashes still occouring. Is this a compatiblity issue between the Corsair modules and my P4C800 motherboard, flawed RAM modules (two equally flawed modules??) or am I looking in the wrong dirrection (thus posting in the wrong forum and internetsite :sigh!: )

DeadMeat Thats a tricky board to setup with premium ram modules. Is your PSU an uptodate unit suppling adequate clean power? I suggest that you look elsewhere on this site for the proper setting for your exact memory. Set that manually in the bios and try 2.7x volts of vdimm. Test with MemTest.

The PSU is a 450 W thermaltake model. I haven't meassured its stability, but judging by brand and price it should be sufficient and stable enough. I ran Windows memory diagnostics with the following results: extended tests (11), 4 cycles (approx. 1 h) resulted in around 1000 errors, primarily in MATS+ and ERAND tests, but other tests failed too at random. I will try and chance my timings, until then: is 1000 errors alarming compared to the timeframe (1 h)?

I've made no OC on this system, all my bios settings for RAM and CPU are "auto". CPU: P4 2.8 GHz FSB 800 MHz, default bios settings RAM: Corsair TwinX DDR3200 2x256 MB, CA TwinX512 -3200LL bios settings: "configure DRAM timings by SPD" (timings are 2.5, 4, 4, 8, 4) I double checked my system configuration by looking at my invoice, My PSU is infact only 360 W could this represent a problem on my system?

• Corsair Employee
Please look at the modules and check the part# that’s printed on the modules. But if you have XMS3200LL please test the modules one at a time and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts. Then please test with [url]www.memtest86.org[/url] and remember to disable legacy USB when running memtest. And let’s make sure one is not failing.

I'm not sure I can set up the 2-3-2-6 latency settings in my paticular bios. My options are: CAS lat. = 2, 2½, 3 (OK) RAS Prech. = 2, 3, 4 (OK) Precharge delay = 2, 3, 4 (OK) Burst lenth = 4, 8 (Problem) RAS to CAS = 2, 3, 4 (OK) I't seems my options on Burst lenth are limited - should it be 4 or 8 then, when 6 is not an option?

burst length is not apart of the mentioned timings. 2,3,2,6 is cas: 2 ras to cas: 3 ras precharge: 2 cycle time (tras): 6 I think thats correct lol, and yes, run that memory atleast 2.7vdimm, mine wouldnt run dual channel at 2.6vdimm, but would run dual channel at 2.7vdimm

Archived