Corsair Community

My HX520W PSU gets very hot, can it be a defective unit?

whitereflection

I bought a Corsair 520W off Buy.com last Saturday and it was delivered to me today. I have heard of good things about this power supply such as: silent, reliable, highly efficient. It can't be bad when it's made by Seasonic.

However, after I replaced my RosewXXX psu with the corsair, the first thing I have noticed is the temperature of the PSU. The fan was not moving much air out of the exhaust. I put fingers over the exhaust, I can clearly tell that the face plate is hotter (look, I am using the word "hot", not "warm") than the air that's been blowing out. It gets significant hotter as I run games such as Battlefield 2 and FEAR.

Then I removed the case side panel, reached for the PSU; It's hot from all angles except the fan grill. I estimate the surface temperature is around 70 Celsius since it's feels the same as my graphic card (which reads 70 degrees from ATI tool). Hell, I can even feel the heat by touching the rear top of the case.

My system doesn't draw that much power:

CPU: X2 3800 (oldest AM2 120W version) OC at 2.6 Ghz

Ram: Patriot 2 GB

Graphic: Sapphire Radeon 850XT

250 GB WD SATA HD X 1 DVD writer X 1

Sound blaster audigy 2

Antec Super Lanboy case

This whole thing tops 300watt at peak load, how can the PSU get this hot? Maybe I got a defective one since I only paid 89 dollars for it? Should I RMA this thing?

Oh trust me, normal people won't have their hands over that thing for over 3 seconds when I am running applications. My hands are special and have high tolerance for temperature.

What's interesting is that everything is fine so far (no random shut downs etc), I hope I don't have to smell something burning in the next few days.

• Corsair Employees
For the sake of your system I would encourage you to get a thermometer and check it. You can get one at the hardware store to check out side temp for about 20.00 USD even a temp strip is a few dollars and will tell if its really that hot. If it is I would get it replaced.

For the sake of your system I would encourage you to get a thermometer and check it. You can get one at the hardware store to check out side temp for about 20.00 USD even a temp strip is a few dollars and will tell if its really that hot. If it is I would get it replaced.

It reads 55 degrees from the exhaust, 64 degrees from the side (after I removed the side panel)

Are those readings normal?

I had my first BSOD just now, wonder what's causing it.

Archived