Corsair Community

USB Drive Encryption

Petroman

Hello,

I recently bought a Corsair 4GB Flash Voyger. Nice product, like it. I use the drive to carry important data on it (like everyone else :o:) between office and home and usually stays with me all the time. The first thing I tried after getting the drive was the Truecrypt security software. I believe, that this is the most important thing as loosing one's confidential data on a usb drive is a disaster. The Trucrypt software is better than many avilable in the market but like rest of them cannot be used on a machine if you don't have the administrative right (usually in offices and public places like libraries). In this situation, you are really hooped. I would not carry my usb drive without securing the data first. After a lot of searching I found that a few softwares available in the market might be the solution. I wanted to get your feedback if anyone has tried them and if they can be used without the admin rights.

1- Encryptex's "Securflash". I believe Sandisk provides this software with their falsh drives.

2- Stealthdrive

3- Steganos Security Suite

The second question that I have is that is there any need to scandisk, defragment the flash drive?? or to run any utility to check the health of the drive periodically. Also, is there any utility developed for Corsair Flash drives?

I haven't gone through all the posts here, so please excuse my ignorance if there is one out there.

Cheers

Petroman

• Corsair Employees

You are welcome to try any of the third party security software you like, but when we looked at the software that was on the market True Crypt was the most versatile and most complete software and why we bundled it with our drives. And any of the software that we tested all have to have Admin rights to install and run them the first time.

And yes it is a good idea to check the drive from time to time and or re-format the drive to ensure integrity.

Ram Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I wonder why you guys did not select a security software which could be used without administrative right. I know, there are tools in the market which can be used without admin rights!.

I am trying out "stealthdisk" and is working. Reason for the post is that the security software "Truecrypt" is good but is useless in most of the situations where one need to use a usb drive!

My second question was to ask if we could use the windows usual "scandisk and defrag utility" on the flash drive. I have read some comments that as flash drives are not HDD with cylinders and heads, you don't need to use these utilities and was wondering if Corsair has developed any tool exclusively for "Flash drives"?

Cheers

• Corsair Employees

You can search for other software to use in http://www.google.com or http://www.snapfiles.com and you are welcome to use anything you like.

We are working a an updated version of our original utility but I am not sure yet what all the options/features will be. And with any removable media the chance for data loss is greater than with a fixed drive and using check Disk or scan disk will test the Data for integrity. For my personal flash drives I will periodically clean the drive by formatting it from a command prompt. If you happen to loose data you can search for a utility to recover the data at http://www.snapfiles.com

Hello Ram Guy,

Thanks for the reply. First thing, I believe you took me wrong. My intention was not to criticise Corsair for choosing a wrong encryption software rather to give a suggestion that having a software which works without admin right would be really beneficial. The reason being that I think that a usb drive is similar to you wallet. You have a lot of your own (and in case of usb, your client's) personal info on it and its critical. The intension was to share mine and others experiences regarding any better option.

Secondly, I much appreciate your customer support and prompt replies. The product you offer is also good. Ten years warranty tells you that the product will last for a while and would be reliable, one of the reasons to choose Corsair.

Finally, yes I would like to get a copy of you new flash utility.

Cheers,

Petroman

• Corsair Employees

I would agree with you, but the problem is more with the O.S. not the hardware from what I understand. We have talked about building one with that feature built into the firmware as that be totally O.S. independent. However, that has never came to market and there is no plan for it that I know of, I think because of some type of license issue.

We will post the new software as soon as it available.

Archived