Corsair Community

6400C5 800 MHz wanting to Overclock

I am wanting to overclock my 2 sticks of 512mb 6400C5 800 MHz Corsair memory. I searched through the forums although did not see anyone else trying to overclock CAS latency 5 memory sticks. I also looked in the Corsair Labs section and the C5 memory is not listed at all (even with other motherboards). The default timings are 5-5-5-12 and voltage 1.9v. What would you recommend in improving the memory performance? Should I go with 5-4-4-12? I've heard if I keep the cas higher and reduce the tRCD and tRP, it will make memory performance improvements without losing stability. What voltage? I have a P5N-E SLI motherboard. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor (I haven't overclocked the processor).

Well, I'm no expert at OC'ing but you might try this (it's what I'm currently running, can't say it's the best way to go or not but it does work).

Set RAM ratio to 3:2

Set FSB to 1333MHz

Set RAM timings to 4-4-4-12-2T

Set CPU multiplier to 8

Set RAM voltage to 2.1v

Set CPU voltage to 1.35v (Intel's max rated for your CPU)

This should give you a decent boost in system performance with no stability loss. Your CPU will run at 2.66GHz (same as Core 2 E6700), your RAM should run at about 889 MHz.

Give it a shot and see how it works (watch your temps!). I would recommend leaving Thermal Throttling on for this until you know it will work.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived