Corsair Community

Will The HX520W Handle These Specs?

SAR

Well that time has come again to upgrade my Game box.

These are the specs I'll now have:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

E6750 or E6850

Mush - XP2-8500

Evga 8800GTX

Corsair HX520W

Sony DRU-810A DVD/RW

X-Fi XtremeMusic

WD Raptor 150GB

1 - 120MM Front Case Fan

2 - 80MM Rear Case Fans

Evga lists the 8800GTX for a 475W PSU, will the Corsair HX520W be enough to power the new P35, Intel C2D 1333 CPU, and 8800GTX with this PSU?

• Corsair Employees

You are welcome.

But I don't know I would say it that way.

Any of the calculators will be an approximation and subject to margin of error mostly because no two system will be exactly the same.

I think they are an educated guess at best no matter who's you use.

I will not be adding any additional Peripherals, so my own educated guess tells me I'm around 480-490W.

Now running a 520W PSU at almost MAX, is this good, bad, or it doesn't matter, does there need to be any headroom for a PSU?

THANKS

Someone told me at full load I won't hit 400w.

Look I know this isn't that complicated, if I could find the rated specs for all the parts, but some of them you can't if I could I could easily add them all up. So how doe this person come about with this assumption that I'm not going to even hit 400W under full load?

THANKS

Ok this article shows the measuring of wattage for the ENTIRE system.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2873&p=1

The power consumption can be found on page 7, using the "Index" drop down window towards the bottom of the page.

In this you can see the Evga 8800GTX system was under load at ONLY 281W, again this is for everything. So I'm not sure how people came to the conclusion here that 520W isn't enough when it seems to be WAY more then enough.

The Setup used:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2.93GHz/4MB)

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i SLI

Intel BadAxe

Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI

Intel 975X

Chipset Drivers: Intel 7.2.2.1007 (Intel)

NVIDIA nForce 9.35

Hard Disk: Seagate 7200.7 160GB SATA

Memory: Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 (1GB x 2)

Video Card: Various

Video Drivers: ATI Catalyst 6.10

NVIDIA ForceWare 96.97

NVIDIA ForceWare 91.47 (G70 SLI)

Desktop Resolution: 2560 x 1600 - 32-bit @ 60Hz

• Corsair Employees
We have tested this configuration and yes it will work, but it may not leave much headroom with our HX520W and why we normally suggest HX620W if you plan on using a 8800 or X1900 Video card.

Ok I just realized that AnandTech article is just some benchmarks from 3DMark06 to stress the GPUs." Far from really punishing the system and getting power consumption numbers up there.

Someone told me his system similar to what I'm looking at and is getting 400W on load.

Here is the setup:

Core 2 Duo 6420 @ 8 x 425 = 3.4 GHz / Enzotech Ultra-X w/ JMC 120mm PWM Fan

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2 @ 425 MHz 4-4-4-12 1T

eVGA nForce 680i 122-CK-NF68-T1

BFG 8800GTX OC2 @ 626/1450/2000

1x WD Raptor 150 GB / 2x WD Barracuda RE2 500GB RAID 1

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750

Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evo Black / 4x Yate Loon 140mm, 3x Yate Loon 120mm

Auravision EluminX / Razer DeathAdder

Gateway FPD2485W 24" LCD

I've been talking to many very experienced PC GEEKS in the field, this system of mine is only going to hit around 400W on load, and still leave plenty of head room.

The specs I listed is all it will ever be, nothing else is going to be added on, this is just for gaming.

Granted now this might not leave much room for future upgrades, but then again I just bought the PSU, and I'm getting ready to buy this P35 box, and the only changes I'll be making is a 45nm CPU when they come out, and possibly a X38, and the next series of GTX, but when I get there I can change, I'm not there yet, hehe ;)

The way I see it now, the 620 looks to be a bit overkill.

• Corsair Employees
Our HX520W will do the job for you I am sure it is a great PSU and one of the review sites stressed it to over 600 Watts but I normally build my systems with a PSU that has 20-30% more available power than I will need at max for best performance and keeping the PSU at nominal operation temp. Either way you would be fine I am sure.

Our HX520W will do the job for you I am sure it is a great PSU and one of the review sites stressed it to over 600 Watts but I normally build my systems with a PSU that has 20-30% more available power than I will need at max for best performance and keeping the PSU at nominal operation temp. Either way you would be fine I am sure.

If I'm only hitting 400W max on load, what percentage of available power is that left over?

That seems like more then the 20-30% you're talking about.

How do you know its 400 Watts? And if you are using a store bought meter and if it cost less that 2-3000.00 USD is the reading accurate?

I'm just going off of other peoples systems that are basically the same.

Many are saying I'm not going to even hit 400W on full load others say they are, and all I know is people seem to be getting by fine with this type of wattage.

Well that time has come again to upgrade my Game box.

These are the specs I'll now have:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

E6750 or E6850

Mush - XP2-8500

Evga 8800GTX

Corsair HX520W

Sony DRU-810A DVD/RW

X-Fi XtremeMusic

WD Raptor 150GB

1 - 120MM Front Case Fan

2 - 80MM Rear Case Fans

Evga lists the 8800GTX for a 475W PSU, will the Corsair HX520W be enough to power the new P35, Intel C2D 1333 CPU, and 8800GTX with this PSU?

Your graphic card will draw about little less than 200 watts at full load, OC C2D CPU draws about 120 Watt. Rest of the system uses 80 Watt max. (You only have one HD and your DVD writer cant be running 24/7).

So yeah, the most power you will be using is 400 Watt. HOWEVER, MOST OF THOSE 400 WATTS ARE DRAWING FROM THE 12 V RAIL.

Therefore you have about 80 Watt power headroom (which is exactly 20%) for your PSU. Now we all know not all the PSU are 100% efficient, not even the Corsair (AKA SeaSXXXX).

So here we do the math: 400 watt/ 0.80 = 500 Watt

Looks, it's a little over what the HX520 can provide over the 12V rail (which is 480 watts).

Conclusion: HX 520 will not leave much headroom for your system, although it will be fine for the task. However if you plan on throwing some extra components in your system in the future, you might want to consider the 620.

I'm not overclocking, and I won't be adding anything more then what was listed in the specs, it's all I need for gaming.

This is strictly a game box, I have a work box, for all the other things, etc...

I'm just trying to figure out if it's enough head room for the best performance and keeping the PSU at nominal operation temps like RamGuy mentioned.

THANKS

The HX520 will run that rig just fine (it's got the necessary headroom above the 32amp requirement of the 8800GTX).

Random thoughts:

Most enthusiasts follow the 20-30% headroom requirement to extend the lifespan of the supply well past the warantee limit and to reduce power supply fan noise (higher rated supplies usually don't have to work as hard so the fan(s) don't need to run at higher speeds for longer periods of time to get rid of the waste product heat versus lower rated supplies). Efficiency in a supply is a measure of how well a supply converts input power (AC from the wall) to output power (DC to feed the rigs components). Sorry to say, but the 400/.80=500watt calculation is meaningless. The basic equipment you'd need to measure efficiency, as RAM Guy mentioned, is in the 2K to 3K price range (quite a bit higher if your going to be testing supplies on a commercial basis). The power supply calculators, such as the one mentioned above, assume that every device you've entered into the calculater tool is going to be running at peak power demand at the same time. In an actual PC this is seldom if ever the case. The calculaters just give you an estimate of what the peak demand could be. Nowadays you have to consider both a supplies wattage and the amperage capacity of the +12volt rail when choosing a supply (recent vintage video cards can be very voracious when sucking juice from the +12volt rail(s), especially if you're doing any high resolution gaming with all of the eye candy turned on). Because the motor spinning the platters of the hard drive is also powered off of the +12volt rail this is why you'd want to pick a supply with sufficient head room on the +12volt rail (hard drives don't want to see any voltage dips, if they do they'll usually reward ya with some pain in the butt corruption to root out).

End random thoughts. Hope the info helps. Good luck.

Archived